Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

any idea or tip about what strings to use??

Beginners
hamad  
30 Jul 2010 08:21 | Quote
Bahrain
hi all.... i want to replace my old strings with new ones ....in the last forum i have posted some say use .. Elixar strings.. and some say use .. D'addario strings and boil them with salt

any idea or tip about what strings to use?? ....
i have an acustic walden D 350 CEB
gx1327  
30 Jul 2010 08:49 | Quote
United States
boil them with salt???!?!?!?

wait, what???

speaking on the grounds of both the chemical and metalurgical properties of metal, that sounds like a very very bad idea. salt is a corrosive, and severe temperature changes can debase a metal's crystaline structure, affecting its tensile strength, yield strength, and hardness...

soooooo if someone has a good reason why you SHOULD boil guitar strings in salt water, i am very very curious to know what it is!

i play electric, but from what i gather elixr is just a premium brand. they cost more, supposedly they last longer and are better. but i typically change my strings every 2-4 months anyway, so buying premium strings to last, say, 6-8 months instead? eh, i just use basic strings.

if you aren't averse to changing strings ever 2-4 months, you may as well buy a variety of different strings. at $3-10 per pack it's not a huge investment, and you can't really go wrong. you can find a brand you like, and if you put a brand on that you dislike, well, just play with them for a few months and you get to change them.
guitarmastergod  
30 Jul 2010 10:12 | Quote
Canada
you boil strings after they have been used a bit to get the gunk off of them i think, i havnt done it though. strings are all about tone and choice, you wont get a specific answer here i use d'daddario 8-.38, i dont like elixir because as far as i know they dont make .008 to .038
AlexB  
30 Jul 2010 13:50 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
you DONT boil guitar strings,bass strings is ok...but guitar strings loose their power when boiled...i have done it..

i suggest D'addario 9's
JustJeff  
30 Jul 2010 14:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Depending on how much you play, you should use different strings.

Elixir PB
D'Addario PB
Martin bronze

Those are my favorite strings. Mostly light strings.
macandkanga  
30 Jul 2010 15:49 | Quote
United States
I use elixir but not because they last longer. I use them because they are coated and feel nice on my fingers. They aslo have a warm tone to them. And, I have black ones that look cool on my 89 Warlock!
hamad  
31 Jul 2010 05:14 | Quote
Bahrain
deefa  
31 Jul 2010 10:41 | Quote
United Kingdom
I used D'addario's last time and they've lasted ages. Kept a decent tone too.
hamad  
31 Jul 2010 13:43 | Quote
Bahrain
yeah ... i will go for them .... but does wether matter becouse here is too hot and too much humidety ..it reaches 80% like a snap of a finger if u know what i mean ????
deefa  
1 Aug 2010 07:27 | Quote
United Kingdom
Strictly off the top of my head, I think humidity is more likely to affect the glue used to stick your guitar together than steel strings. I think phip had a bit of a problem regarding humidity with his Martin, Maybe you should PM him for the low down.
hamad  
3 Aug 2010 07:19 | Quote
Bahrain

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.