Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

My guitar wont stay tuned

Instruments and Gear
Mistaluke  
10 May 2010 11:16 | Quote
Gah it sucks I tune my guitar everyday but it wont stay tuned
I'll tune it (EADGBe) or (DADGBe) Depending on what song im playing
And anyways the next day it sounds horrible! O: Its happend with all of my guitars I cant figure this out
Please help?
and is there anyway to fix this!??
Bilbo  
10 May 2010 11:41 | Quote
United States
Hmmm could be a number of things...the kind of guitars, tuners, bridge, environment, strings could all be a factor.
Guitarslinger124  
10 May 2010 12:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
I'd venture a guess and say that if this happens to all of your guitars, you may want to consider getting a humidifier for whatever room you store your goodies in. Can't say much for the quality or your guitars either, but if you haven't spent much money on them... Well, cheap wood = bad news bears. Consider the way you string them too. If you don't know how to string your instrument, it wont stay in tune. The way I string my instruments is, after slipping the string through the hole on the tuning peg, I wrap it towards the outside, under itself and then double back going over itself. I'll post a picture later, gotta get to work.

Rock on!
gx1327  
10 May 2010 13:16 | Quote
United States
personally i'm not a fan of the "tie knot" method of stringing, it never tightens cleanly for me, but supposedly it helps keep your strings more secure and to stay in tune better (less slippage)

how old are your strings? maybe you just need new strings?
Mistaluke  
10 May 2010 15:12 | Quote
I used to store my guitars in my garage and willa humidifier Make it so it fixes my guitars?
Domigan_Lefty  
10 May 2010 15:43 | Quote
United States
I dont know what my problem is, but i tune my Ibanez to drop D, and within minutes the low D is back on low E with the other strings about 1/5 semitone flat. Even with the nut CLAMPED and the strings finetuned and intonated, with no Whammy usage, and springs adjusted to drop D. Even w/ other string gauges and brands.

Explain that?
BTW, its only teh Ibanez.
Guitarslinger124  
10 May 2010 16:44 | Quote
United States
Mistaluke says:
I used to store my guitars in my garage and willa humidifier Make it so it fixes my guitars?

Garage = TERRIBLE PLACE TO KEEP GUITARS

Guitars are made of wood. Wood is not the strongest material on the planet. It bends, it warps, it breaks and it splinters. You need to take care of your instruments.

What you probably need, is to have your guitar set. Take it to a shop and ask a tech to set it for you. A humidifier will not fix your guitars. What it probably will do, is help prevent further damage to your guitars.

Domigan_Lefty says:
I dont know what my problem is, but i tune my Ibanez to drop D, and within minutes the low D is back on low E with the other strings about 1/5 semitone flat. Even with the nut CLAMPED and the strings finetuned and intonated, with no Whammy usage, and springs adjusted to drop D. Even w/ other string gauges and brands.

If you are using brand new strings, make sure you stretch them out before you clamp them down. I.e. tune your guitar a whole step sharp and let it sit for a few minutes before tuning it where you want it; then clamp them down. Also, make sure your strings are tight at the bridge, sometimes tremelos make it difficult to tighten your strings.

Rock on!
JoshJones  
10 May 2010 20:49 | Quote
United States
it may be that you have too MUCH humidity. Guitars should be stored at room temp at moderate humidity. Be careful with the humidifier, adding water vapor around wood is highly NOT recommended. But without knowing your tuners and type of guitar I can't offer much other help.

Tuners make a huge difference in actually keeping the guitar correctly tuned.

As for Domigan_Lefty, take your guitar to get it properly intonated, it will fix your tuning issue (or do it yourself, which I recommend). You can't just change string gauges without fixing the intonation. You'll have issues with dropping semi-tones which you are noticing.
Guitarslinger124  
10 May 2010 21:07 | Quote
United States
JoshJones says:
it may be that you have too MUCH humidity. Guitars should be stored at room temp at moderate humidity. Be careful with the humidifier, adding water vapor around wood is highly NOT recommended.

Very good point. This is my mistake, I had meant to say "DEHUMIDIFIER".

Thanks for pointing that out!

Rock on!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.