Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

upstrokes

Technique
ccm596  
5 May 2010 17:27 | Quote
United States
Is there any way I can improve my upstrokes? (by upstroke, I mean strumming up, if there was any ambiguity there)
EMB5490  
5 May 2010 18:36 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
just practice strumming harder rhythms
JustJeff  
5 May 2010 20:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
I think it's called a syncopated beat... when the emphasis is on the offbeat, or in this case, in a standard strumming pattern, the up beat.

Do this.

Set up your metronome, and strum up and down at quarter notes on the metronome. Now, just play downstrokes and mute your upstrokes. After doing this, reverse it, and mute downstrokes while playing upstrokes.

This kind of separation may help you out.

p.s. If you are having trouble muting the strums, use a barre chord and do a left-hand mute instead of palm muting with your right hand.
gx1327  
6 May 2010 07:24 | Quote
United States
learn some ska songs?

are you trying to do this without the scratch on the downbeat? otherwise it's pretty easy to just srum down, up, down, up, except mute the downstrokes and fret the upstrokes. in that sense, the "upstroke" isn't any different than regular strumming.
ccm596  
7 May 2010 19:05 | Quote
United States
I think I got it. I just had to use a thin pick instead of medium lol. Now I gotta focus on IMPROVING them rather than being able to do them in the first place lol. Thanks guys
EMB5490  
7 May 2010 19:06 | Quote
United States
it shuldnt be the pick. i can do whatever rhythm with a rock... just makes it harder...
ccm596  
7 May 2010 19:24 | Quote
United States
Well I just didn't think it sounded right with my usual medium, so I tried a thin at the suggestion of a friend, and that really helped.
EMB5490  
7 May 2010 19:29 | Quote
United States
oo i see
gx1327  
10 May 2010 09:57 | Quote
United States
well i think the scratches on the downbeat would sound different with a medium pick compared to a thin pick. with a thin pick i find it's easier to brush across the strings with the least amount of resistance...
ccm596  
14 May 2010 21:04 | Quote
United States
Yea, I think that was the problem. I was getting too much resistance going up with a medium, but not with a thin. I'm gettin to where I can do it with a medium, but I'm not quite there yet, I don't think. Awfully close, tho.
carlsnow  
17 May 2010 11:04 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
this is what i have my students do when 'upstroke troubles' are the topic.

Play yer modes, scales, runs (etc) a few times (20 min or so)

THEN
(since human instinct dictates a 'down' on the '1')
play a mode or run (if Mode 3-note per string) you are VERY familiar with (read: yer Left and knows where to go) BUT begin with an UP-stroke (Ionian would 'normally begin on 'down' - end ion 'up') and
carry this through Ionian to Locrian ... again and again and again.
same w/
Pent etc

ALL "i play it like so (down)" LICKS become "reverse picked "(down = up and up = down)

its "old school" and will make you wanna toss the guitar out the window , lol, but stick with it and will grantee you that your accuracy, speed and pick-control will improve at a geometrical rate!

RAWK!
Cs

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.