Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

My dilemma

Music and Bands
Domigan_Lefty  
7 Apr 2010 09:08 | Quote
United States
Heres my problem. Its my rhythm guitarist/lead singer.
When i am not doing the part of Lead vocals, i dont need and i dont want a rhythm guitarist. But if i tell him i dont need him on guitar, he's gone and im stuck singing/Lead guitar. Which ill them need a rhythm guitarist. Because i start getting confused, and lose tempo.
Plus i live in the land of "guitar heroes" who couldnt play to save their lives, and Death Metal freaks. Me and Him are the only punk/alt. guitarists availible.
Suggestions?
case211  
7 Apr 2010 10:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
deal with it. You'll have a much thicker sound if you two can play with each other, and will sound much better live. I'd love to have another person play rhythm and sing at the same time since that would make things much "larger" sounding live.
Also: Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman :D
Domigan_Lefty  
7 Apr 2010 18:12 | Quote
United States
i can play with the drums. I usually go by the vocals though, which he randomly decides to chop apart and randomly stop. He cant really play either.
On 1-10 where 1 is never touched a guitar before and 10 is EVH. I usually get rated a 7 or 8. He gets rated a "you F* suck dumbass"
- All True.

And he's shown to one practice, and never to our "shows". (Which is just some friends and the drummers neighbors)
JazzMaverick  
7 Apr 2010 23:53 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
No point in complaining then man, you know what you have to do. Get rid of him or just as Casey said: Deal with it.

What's the point in wasting time complaining when instead you could be explaining or showing him ways that could make him better? If you want it to work then help him. If you don't and just like feeling better than him by your friend's ratings... well... there are people who are a lot better than you, too. Let's put it that way.
case211  
8 Apr 2010 00:28 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
Jazz is right dude. I'd suggest sitting him down and laying things out for him, he probably feels a little insecure when he's not singing. Honestly try to help him see where you're coming from otherwise he may never fully understand what you would like to see him do and might become angered about something.
Straight up tell him that he needs to start making a commitment to the band and start showing up for practices otherwise you won't have given him a fair chance at proving himself.
Not to be poking fun at you, or making you angry on purpose, but your friends ratings... never ever EVER go by those. My friends tell me I'm amazing, I always throw away what they think about my playing and instead take it as, I can get better. I never take what they say to heart about my playing, since I always want to improve. Your friends may say that you are 7-8 out of 10(being RR and EVH level). The truth here, is that many many many people are much more gifted than you at guitar. It's going to happen and it isn't easy to deal with.
Don't use your friends ratings of you two to measure ability. You may have a gem of a rhythm guitarist/singer in your grasp, don't let him go without trying to work with him.
Seriously we had a guy sing for us for 2 months and we would work with him all the time, printing off lyric sheets, working on his timing for the singing, etc.. We tried and he really didn't have what it took to be able to push himself to do more, but we tried.
Seriously consider basically giving him "guitar lessons"(basic things like timing, chords) to help him out. You may see him start to become more "into" the band and may help contribute more because of it.
Don't be concerned about his performing abilities right now since you need to work with him a bit first.
Let him go, or try to work with him?
That's the choices, man.
Just like what Jazz said...

(Don't intend to anger you man, sorry if this comes off a bit harsh in places. Just trying to help you see what you might be able to do about it.)
Domigan_Lefty  
8 Apr 2010 07:44 | Quote
United States
I know many more people are better than me. If i rated myself, i would rate me a "not too bad, but not too good" (3)
And i never listen to friends ratings. Its always people i dont know or people who absolutely hate me.

Friends always lie. Never trust them.
adelaideguitar  
14 Apr 2010 13:42 | Quote
Australia
Its simple. During your lead parts, ask him to play reduced palm muted chords. Easy.

Youre not the first vocalist/guitarist that also wants to solo.

And trust me, even if your mate was a better player, would that solve the problem? Ummm, nope. Because you want to solo.

So, it sounds like comunication breakdown!
Domigan_Lefty  
14 Apr 2010 17:18 | Quote
United States
During lead parts i dont really care. its better to have a backing track anyway. Its the main verses/chorus where it matters.
And now hes refusing to write origional material, so im gonna listen to my sister and kick him. A band isnt about playing Nirvana and Antiflag covers...

I finally got my songwriting together though! Yay end on happy note!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.