Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

upgrades

Instruments and Gear
les_paul  
7 Feb 2010 19:37 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I've been talking about it for over a year but I finally ordered my vintage 30 speaker and all new tubes for my amp!

I'm going next week to get a set of Gibson 57's for my lp.

Has anyone ever played through a set of 57's?
deefa  
8 Feb 2010 06:12 | Quote
United Kingdom
I had a little play on an SG '61 re-issue a few months back. Great sound but then. no discernible difference (to me)from the standard Alnico burstbuckers. Your ears are younger and probably better than mine. The question is, is it worth it to YOU to pay the extra?
EMB5490  
8 Feb 2010 06:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
i have a set of 57s on my custom. also have higher output on my epi... the 57 get a smoother rich tone which the dimarzios get real nice top end. i like the 57s better but it depends what im playing.
les_paul  
9 Feb 2010 14:43 | Quote
United States
I just went the guitar shop and ordered my pickups.

I was torn between the Gibson 57's and the Seymour Duncan alnico pro 2.

I went with the 57's.
les_paul  
15 Feb 2010 21:07 | Quote
United States
So the guitar shop called me up today and told me my guitar was ready (I was having my Gibson 57 humbuckers installed). I told them to hold on to the cases that my pickups came in because if I didn't like them I was going to put them on ebay and try something else.

They told me that was no problem but I got a weird vibe over the phone.

I get off work and drive strait to the shop grab my guitar and the cases my new pickups came in and ran out the door. I was in a hurry because I had to pick my son up from daycare.

So I get home and plug in and start to play and the bridge pickup is amazing, I totally fell in love with it right away. So I play with the bridge pickup for a while and then switch to the neck pickup. I about threw up on my guitar! It sounded horrible compared to the bridge.

I switch to playing both pickups and I have never heard two pickups sound so bad together. I play a little longer and finally out of pure disgust I put my guitar down and pick up the cases for my pickups and found the problem.

They installed a 57 classic plus in the bridge position which is what I wanted... In the neck they installed a burstbucker 1959 replica!!!

This thing sounds like ***!

I think that is why I got the bad vibe over the phone. They didn't want me to see the case. I clearly ordered a set of Gibson 57's. This is the second time they have tried to screw me into taking something other than what I wanted.

I'm done with that shop! I'm calling them in the morning and if they don't make it right I'll make sure everyone knows what kind of shop they're running.

Just had to get that off my chest.
Ozzfan486  
15 Feb 2010 21:23 | Quote
United States
Dude, if you payed for a 57, aren't you out a ***load of cash! Thats BS man. B.S. Woooooow.
BodomBeachTerror  
15 Feb 2010 21:43 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
that stinks man, I hope they fix it without charging you extra
les_paul  
15 Feb 2010 21:56 | Quote
United States
They won't get another penny out of me. There are a lot of people who won't deal with them anymore.

When I started going there three years ago they had hundreds of guitars and so many amps you could hardly walk through the store. the place was always packed.

Now they have about 75 guitars, maybe 15 amps and it's like a ghost town.

You have to treat people right in that kind of business.
nater2  
15 Feb 2010 22:21 | Quote
United States
yea, i've been really luck too have a really quality guitar shop near.
btimm  
15 Feb 2010 22:41 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Is there a reason why you don't deal with a place like Guitar Center? I have found they have always treated me right dating back to when I used to buy a ton of drum equipment back in the day. Is there not one near you or something?
les_paul  
15 Feb 2010 23:05 | Quote
United States
The closest guitar center is about 70 miles.

I normally order all my gear on line but with the pickups I thought I would go to them so I could get them installed also.

Like I said they are just holding on by a thread you can't screw your customers over and expect to stay in business.

I just emailed a guy I found on the Internet that used to work on zz tops gear. His shop is about 75 miles from me. It would be worth the drive to have someone I can trust do the work I want done and do it right.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.