Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

GarageBand

Instruments and Gear
case211  
15 Aug 2009 11:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
Hey guys, I just got my laptop and I have been playing around with GarageBand. I did a little bit last year but the program hasn't changed, luckily. Problem is, I can't seem to find any decent settings for things, they all sound boomy and too bassy for my taste. I've been looking up all kinds of things about GB on google but all I get are the basic preset tones. So anyone know about any settings for the app, or a place that might have some settings?

Thanks
Case
Schecter_player  
15 Aug 2009 12:12 | Quote
Canada
I have the program too, and to be quite honest i've never met anyone that did anything that sounded good on it. I don't use it to record. So, my point is that i don't know how to get the settings the way you want, but there might not be a way to make it sound nice. However, if its sounding too bassy try messing around with the EQ.
case211  
15 Aug 2009 12:18 | Quote
United States
yeah, I am really only using it to record because my parents don't want to have me actually use my amp when they are home. otherwise I would mic my amp and get something that I want and like. but the eq'ing in the GB doesn't seem to be too easy either, like if I suck out the bass on the amp sim, it gets this raunchy mid range punch which is good but not what I'm looking for. I pull back on the mids, then I get a really whiny treble, pull off the treb a little bit and then I lose all clarity with chords. I have a headache from it XD

BTW I'm looking for something like the early Van Halen sound and a Randy Rhoads type of sound.
case211  
15 Aug 2009 18:57 | Quote
United States
Hey schecter_player, if you like the Rhoads type of tone, I've managed to find something with good crunch and sounds kind of like his tone, useful for recording licks and such. I could post the settings if you want them.
AlexB  
16 Aug 2009 01:17 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
Nah Man,try other software,personally i dont like GB,its too amateurish to me,get Cubase!!
case211  
16 Aug 2009 01:33 | Quote
United States
the overdrive on it is way to harsh and boomy for my taste, but for quick licks without having to mic an amp, it works ok.
carlsnow  
16 Aug 2009 09:04 | Quote
United States
after students I'll try and address this , as its of great import to me (Mastering Engineer)

but lemme start w/
'good guitar tone'

1- KNOW what tone YOU want and find it on the amp/guitar. this make Mic-selection/placement(s) far easier)
2- Learn to Mic (includes what Mic on what amp in what room)
3- process the sound as little as humanly possible. (you can mess around when mixing)
4- never(never say never)'go direct, or through one of those damned Pods) instruments thrive in 'air', not perceived/fake air
5- listen again --- if ya don't like it LEARN from it, and try again.
6- never give up!

RAWK!
Cs

@AlexB
ViVa CBase4! ;~)

macandkanga  
16 Aug 2009 14:05 | Quote
United States
I use Guitar Rig 3 as a plug in and it sounds great!
Schecter_player  
16 Aug 2009 22:56 | Quote
Canada
@Case

Not sure how much i would use it, but if you don't mind putting it up i'm sure that someone will find it helpful.
carlsnow  
17 Aug 2009 07:42 | Quote
United States
macandkanga says:
I use Guitar Rig 3 as a plug in and it sounds great!

yeah... its fun as hell and can do nice things when yer mixing... i meant "don't Pod(etc)-it IN" GR3 is GREAT in Post.
(Amplitube as well)

RAWK!
Cs
case211  
23 Aug 2009 16:48 | Quote
United States
well, after screwing around with GarageBand, if you blew your money on a a mac instead of a new guitar or something, I found some decent artist tones. But choose the Real Instrument track, not the guitar track.
Eddie Van Halen (early days)
In this order
Flanger-Stadium Flange or whatever your taste but this comes close
AU Graphic EQ-Mid range boost(Horseshoe or frown face) with 32Hz and 16.4KHz cut by about 2 db.
Phaser-Old Phase, but slow it down a tad.
Amp sim-Brit. Bright Gain
Pre Gain-7
Bass-9
Mid-8
Treb-9
Pres.-7
Master-10
Output-0.0 db
I think it sounds halfway decent considering the program.

Randy Rhoads Tribute Tone
Overdrive- put Drive at 12.00(halfway) and the other two full up.
AU Graphic EQ- 1k and 16.4 Khz peak at 12 db, make a frown curve with everything else finishing at +6 db.
or just like this guy has it http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/rrtone.htm
Amp sim-Brit Bright Gain
Settings: Pre-7 Bass-2 Mid-5 Treb-2 Pres.-7 Master-10 output-whatever
I think that for a modeler that comes free, this sounds pretty freakin close.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.