Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Where do I go to now?

Music Theory
Taylor  
1 Jan 2009 16:23 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
I'm trying to find some topics on music theory to study. I've already read one book about the basics of music theory, so I know the circle of fifths, scales and modes, how to transpose, and all the good stuff. Now I'm looking for something else to learn about and where I can learn about it. Any ideas?
Phip  
1 Jan 2009 16:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
@ Taylor,
This question comes up often here so i have been making notes when someone sugests books and software. this is my list so far, it includes books and software, some of which I own. the rest i will soon own.
The Jazz Theory Book
'The guitar handbook' by Ralph Denyer.
Total Guitar by Terry Burrows
"The Real Book" or "The Real Fake Book" Sixth Edition

Software
100 Chords Method
Play what you hear
Music Theory 3.0

Hope this helps,
Phip
blackholesun  
1 Jan 2009 16:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
Wikipedia is pretty handy to be honest.
RelaxedDude  
1 Jan 2009 16:54 | Quote
United States
Licks: 2
You could always go back to musictheory.net for a refresher, that site seems really popular around here because its got so much
Taylor  
2 Jan 2009 00:05 | Quote
United States
Hey thanks a lot Phip, i'll look into that jazz theory book especially. and yes wikipedia has been my source but it doesn't explain things that well all the time.
JazzMaverick  
2 Jan 2009 17:01 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
"The Jazz Theory Book" is by far the best book I've ever read for musical knowledge. You'll be using it for many, many years.

Mark Levine (the author) will expect you to know a fair amount of theory already, know some jazz standards and then he'll also recommend a crap load of stuff which has helped him and many of the people who helped Mark make the book.

Check out Jamey Abersold's work too. He's got so many CDs (lessons) it's crazy. That's more practical theory, so I really recommend checking out his stuff. He's still around, and making crap loads of money off of this stuff. But it's actually worth buying.

From what you're saying, I'm guessing you're able to play some chord progressions and possibly work your way around the fret board to some degree, right? So the next thing I'd recommend is a program called "Play What You Hear" by Chris Standring. This is by far the BEST program I've ever checked out. It'll teach you how to train your ear (hense the name) and it covers so much that you'll be occupied for years.

With "The Jazz Theory Book" and "Play What You Hear" you really don't need anything else, but it's down to your profession. Because both of these are for Jazz.
soy.el.che  
2 Jan 2009 22:37 | Quote
Mexico
has the jazz theory book things that a ignorant person like me will understand?
Taylor  
2 Jan 2009 23:28 | Quote
United States
Ok thanks again, but i've already got a CD for ear training by David Lucas Burdge, it teaches you perfect pitch. I've enjoyed it so far and I'm learning a lot from it.
JazzMaverick  
3 Jan 2009 11:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Well, at the start of the book it covers intervals, but he already expects you to be able to read notation. There's no TAB in this book. But it's a really good way to improve on your skills and also know what notes are where on the fret board. It'll cover Major scale harmonies, then go into much more detailed stuff which I'm certain is above your level, but it's what he helps you to work towards.

No problem Taylor, good luck none the less and let us know how you get on.
soy.el.che  
3 Jan 2009 14:15 | Quote
Mexico
i CANT read notation................... any recomendation to learn??
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Jan 2009 15:42 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
suzuki?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.