Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

New song, fellas

Songwriting
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 13:16 | Quote
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5svGbaWeJw

This is Skold, BTW. My old account messed up.
CTown  
3 Sep 2008 13:34 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I think it came out nicely. I really liked the bridge/solo part.
baudelaire  
3 Sep 2008 15:25 | Quote
Brazil
fire your singer. the lyrics will sell, but so will almost anything. the lead guitar is nicely done. the rhythm could use some work.

overall, i would say the song just needs more variety, musically. and... fire that singer. or tell him to take lessons, or something. i enjoyed the lead melody. the lyrics are workable, but i don't like them.

overall, i got a lot more then i expected here. not bad. just... it's not special. keep working on it, and it might become something special.

and fire that singer.
Empirism  
3 Sep 2008 15:34 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
If someone played this to me before I listened this, Ive probably thinked "sounds like The American Brit's" and that is good thing to have personal style and sound.

Touching solo on 2:55 but consider tweak it little longer that it continue a little when singing starts again. Nicely done.

Cheers!
Empirism

lol Baude... You should know our Dylan better :D
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 18:16 | Quote
United States
Thanks for your honesty, Baud.

I'm the singer, and I don't think I sound half bad.

I'm not really a fan of the way I ended the solo, so that's gonna be re-done.
joe  
3 Sep 2008 18:31 | Quote
United Kingdom
pretty good to be honest.

my favourite of your songs id say.

the bridge bit is the best. imo.

singing isnt brill but it does the job.

effective song.

TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 18:37 | Quote
United States
Thanks.

I generally don't use the vocals to carry the song. I wish I could sound like Dylan used to.
CaseyJones  
3 Sep 2008 19:03 | Quote
United States
I dig the song man, i like the vocals too, it works in a dylan like way, no offense, their not great, but the way you sing it, they sound very good, if taht makes any sense. and they lyrics are very good man, really like those, and everybodys right, the bridge is teh best. Good job man.
Phip  
3 Sep 2008 19:42 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Skold,
Best thing you've done so far. Creative, it moves nicely (or flows well). Keeps moving and doesn't get lost in itself. I enjoyed it. This song shows huge progress in your writing. you are on the right track! Keep it up. As far as the vocals are concerned you already know there is some room for improvement, so i'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Find some private place where you can really let loose and belt out some of your favorite tunes until your voice gets stronger. Don't give up on the vocals, and definately don't give up on the writing.
two thumbs up,
Phip
baudelaire  
3 Sep 2008 23:13 | Quote
Brazil
skold, upon further consideration, i have this to say.

first, go to that singing tips thread and study and do those videos by eric arcenaux. he's a professional vocal coach, works with BIG people, and his techniques made my voice three times better then it was.

second, the problem with your voice isn't really the tone, or the WAY you sing; it was the inconsistency. you kept wavering in and out, you sounded like you were singing at the wrong volume, little things like that. if you strengthen your voice with training, you don't need to fire yourself. dylans 'voice' was always sort of 'poor' by some standards; but it was VERY strong, and VERY consistent. very SMOOTH. those are what you need to get into your voice.
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 23:41 | Quote
United States
Thanks for the advice, baud.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 01:10 | Quote
United States
Here's a new version: http://media.putfile.com/The-American-Brits---Fight-The-Tide-71

Note: if the audio screws up, it's because putfile sucks.
baudelaire  
4 Sep 2008 01:49 | Quote
Brazil
very nice. i really honestly like it... but keep working on the voice. the lead is perfect, the rhythm is great as long as the dynamics are kept, the lyrics are something that i would enjoy listening to if it came on the radio, now that i listen closer.

much better then most shit coming out today, and that is from a skeptic at first.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 01:50 | Quote
United States
Thanks, man. Means a lot.
telecrater  
4 Sep 2008 06:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I have to say your technique has really improved from some of your earlier songs. I really like your melodic leads at the start really pulls the listener in.

keniemn  
4 Sep 2008 07:44 | Quote
United States
skold you do seem to out do yourself with every tune you post
good job
i belive i said before that i like your style and vocals
and ime kinda into metal, anyways you do keep me listening
Phip  
4 Sep 2008 11:38 | Quote
United States
Damn you Skold!!!
I'm at work and all morning I've been walking around humming your song. Can't get it out of my head. Any thoughts on how i can get over it?
"Skolded in Massachusetts"
JazzMaverick  
4 Sep 2008 13:38 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Catchy tune, it’s definitely something that can get stuck in your head. I like your vocals, but one thing I noticed is that you put a lot of air into it, if you get me. When I say air, I mean it sounds as if there's a sort of whisper in the background of your voice. I've noticed this because I used to do the same thing.

I'm not saying it's bad, because it also gives a good feel to the song, but i think it might sound better if there was less air involved.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 13:59 | Quote
United States
Not sure I catch your drift, mav. Do you mean breathing in after singing? Or just the way that the audio has that noise in the background. If it's the latter, it's because of the way I have everything EQ'd (I suck at that).
EMB5490  
4 Sep 2008 14:09 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
it doesnt work...
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 14:11 | Quote
United States
Might not have the right plug-in's on your browser.
JazzMaverick  
4 Sep 2008 14:48 | Quote
United Kingdom
Nothing to do with the EQ, nor breathing in after singing. It's difficult to explain without showing. When you sing it also has a sort of whisper in it. Basically, you give off more air than you need to.

How I prevented myself from doing it (sounds weird but worked)...

You know when you make that funny frog voice while talking? (Like Kermit.) Or, that opera voice. Well, on the verge of that, but only doing it slightly, I was able to stop all that extra air, and make my voice sound more controlled. Also by doing that, my voice became much louder.

It's a matter of practicing with your voicebox really. Learning how to control it and give off different tones. I'm not a professional, so if anything, try having one lesson, asking about that, and they'd probably be able to explain (and voice it) better than I can.

Sorry if my explination didn't make much sense.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 14:55 | Quote
United States
You mean the way I sing low and raspy?
Phip  
4 Sep 2008 15:55 | Quote
United States
I think it sounds like there are people in the next room and you're embarrased to sing out loudly so you keep your voice down, sorta like that! Now, I'm not saying that this is what you are doing I'm only saying that it sounds like that. So.... Let 'er rip!
phip
P.S.
Of course this is coming from a guy who couldn't sing his way out of the shower, so consider the source........
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 15:57 | Quote
United States
No, you're right. I just can't seem to belt anything out.
JazzMaverick  
4 Sep 2008 17:44 | Quote
United Kingdom
Your low singing is great. I can't properly explain it without singing it to you myself.

Your voice just needs to be stronger, illiminating that breathy sound. The more confidence the better the sound. Don't be afraid to shout and show your talent.

It takes practice, I have some tips on singing in one of my lessons if you want to check that out. The breating techniques will help you out there.
Phip  
4 Sep 2008 18:11 | Quote
United States
@JazzMaverick,
Breathy like Donovan? ie season of the witch, sunshine superman, catch the wind? that kind of breathy? (is that a real word?)
Phip
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 18:13 | Quote
United States
lol, "breathy".

Look at the word he done did made!
Phip  
4 Sep 2008 18:33 | Quote
United States
Skold,
You might like Donovan. Have you listened to any of his music?
Catch the wind is one of my favs.
Phip
try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2arEUEAWck
Listen to the lyrics, they are particularily good.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 22:03 | Quote
United States
Yeah, I like his sound.
JazzMaverick  
5 Sep 2008 07:20 | Quote
United Kingdom
Breathy probably isn't a word, but you catch my drift.

Well, Donovan has a SLIGHT breathy sound, but more controlled.

Basically, I think it's just down to confidence. Just feel that passion and let it burst out.
TheAmericanBrit  
18 Sep 2008 21:24 | Quote
United States
I often can sing really well (passion wise) when I sing Dylan. But, not when I sing mine.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.