Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

what lessons?

Music Theory
highonbodominflames  
4 Jun 2008 23:01 | Quote
United States
so ive decided that i need lessons. ithe place im going to has four choises. rock lessons. blues. jazz and classical. im trying to decide which one. i want to be able to make up melodies like in flames, iron maiden but still have that groove factor like dimebag. so im almost thinking jazz what do yall think?
Doz  
4 Jun 2008 23:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
Jazz would be a very good genre of guitar to learn. It'll probably mean you learn a lot more theory in the process and likely more technical than rock and blues from the get go (even though obviously heavier more technical styles come into play in rock as you advance, just like most music).

Is it possible to find a teacher to teach a few different genres?
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Jun 2008 23:23 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
classical guitar? or like neoclassical?
Doz  
4 Jun 2008 23:27 | Quote
United Kingdom
I'm sure he means classical.
highonbodominflames  
4 Jun 2008 23:32 | Quote
United States
actualy probly more neoclasical alot like yngwie malmsteen if anything. im going to be playing metal what ever i learn im just trying to figure out what a good theory bass would be.
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Jun 2008 23:35 | Quote
Canada
personally i would go with the neoclassical.. cuz if im not playing crushing riffs im playing neoclassical stuff...

i need to learn the rest of fur elise lol

edit: but it might be a lil hard for starters, cuz the pentatonic scale is the one u should start with, but neoclassical cant be played with pentatonics. =p
highonbodominflames  
4 Jun 2008 23:50 | Quote
United States
yeah thats why i need lessons cuz i cant sit down and learn even a peice of a scale. it will take me twice as long to learn a scale as it does for me to learn a song.
Doz  
5 Jun 2008 01:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Well, classical guitar would be an excellant theory bass, but it'd probably be better to choose another one because the technique (even though a lot of the top shredders were classicak guitarists so it must work out some way).

I'm going to stick with jazz. It should introduce you to a lot of good foundations (different time signatures, dynamics, expressive playing, improvisation etc).
highonbodominflames  
5 Jun 2008 09:59 | Quote
United States
yeah im thinking jazz just because i want to be different. since all the top shredders are classicaly bassed.
league  
5 Jun 2008 12:50 | Quote
United States
I recently took a Jazz history class and it taught me a lot of stuff I could apply to Metal. Listen to Dave Brubeck.
les_paul  
5 Jun 2008 14:25 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I don't want to sound like an idiot but, what's the difference Classical, Neoclassical.
BodomBeachTerror  
5 Jun 2008 15:26 | Quote
Canada
classical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7O2tD3imy8&feature=related

neoclassical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVyO4gSq24
telecrater  
5 Jun 2008 18:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
very well said
Doz  
6 Jun 2008 00:43 | Quote
United Kingdom
...but not *entirely* accurate. That's an example of classical compared to new classical *metal*.

Basically, neoclassical is new classical music. Classical music made in more modern ways (instrumentation, mainly). All of it is, obviously, very influenced by original classical music and I'd safely assume that a lot of neoclassical musicians were taught classical, but I guess some might have just listened to a lot of classical music and worked on it themselves, for electric guitar or some other 'modern' instrument.
ThePusher  
6 Jun 2008 14:34 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 3
2 great neoclassical guitarists are The Great Kat & Yngwie Malmsteen, now The Great Kat was university trained on violin before converting the songs to electric guitar, Malmsteen on the other hand has just always attempted to emulate the tone and techniques of violin, now there were many others but those are the best examples I cold think of someone that was just a fan of classical music and one who was truly a classical musician before

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.