Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

80's Metal

Music and Bands
telecrater  
2 Jun 2008 00:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
So i'm in a bit of a musical rut. So I thought i would revisit some 80's music. I guess it's sorta going back to the roots.

I did make an observation. it seems that people "back in the day" make Albums, Cd's, & Tapes a lot faster. I mean some of the 80's metal bands were putting out albums out every year or two. It seems that most modern rock music it takes 2 or 3 years between discs.

I guess i'm looking to see if anyone else noticed the same thing? The quailtiy of the music does not seem to be any better, so why are they taking so damn long?
ThePusher  
2 Jun 2008 01:04 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 3
yeah I did I also noticed that Buckethead is the fastest album releaser every year and last year released 11 different discs
les_paul  
2 Jun 2008 01:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I think that today a lot of musicians are into more than just music. I mean now you see musicians from popular bands popping up in movies and TV shows all the time. Back in the day a guitarist was a guitarist and nothing else music was there life.
Veqq  
2 Jun 2008 02:57 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 5
They were better... :P
And generally they had better music too... :P

While I do accually belive that to be generally true, it's not really true to others... But...

I think they accually bother to write new stuff, as it is, I could put out 2 albums now worth of stuff. If I included crappy stuff it would be like 9 but I don't like allot of the songs... While other people I know don't write anything (most accually...). SO it's just what they do...

Also touring, people these days are always touring. Back in the day, they would tour for a few months and be done. They would also only tour in support of an album (unless they were new...)

Also, it depends on where you look... some were far slower then people now too...
GuitarBoy666  
2 Jun 2008 10:30 | Quote
Canada
I noticed it.

A lot of the artists today are always touring and stuff and they are always changing their appearance and sound and they go mainstream (fuck mainstream!)

As Veqq mentioned, the touring, bands today seem to be touring for like 6 months at a time, while way-back-when they would only be out for a few months.
telecrater  
2 Jun 2008 11:21 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Yeah i suppose they have too, it seems less people see live acts. I don't because ticket prices are too high. I would imagine with gas prices on the rise that ticket prices are going to reflect it. Y

ou know I saw bob dylan in the 90's for under $20(i think it was right around $15). He came thru town a couple years ago and ticket prices were over $40 and that was sitting behind a big pillar/pole thing. no thank you.

Doz  
2 Jun 2008 11:58 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think it's due to the touring, and the amount of promoting the bands have to go through to get known.
league  
2 Jun 2008 21:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
@ Doz do you mean they tour more now or before?
blackholesun  
3 Jun 2008 03:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
I think metal bands still release albums fairly regularly. Take Trivium for example (I don't like Trivium, but they are a good example of a modern metal band). At the end of this year, they would have released 4 albums in the space of 5 years, and they still tour quite a bit. If you are referring to older bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden, then I guess they just don't want or need to release new material every year, and instead focus on touring to maintain their popularity. Metallica have close to 100 self-written, studio-recorded songs, not including Garage Inc., and if they play an average of 20 songs per set, then they have enough material to play for 5 nights without repeating themselves!
Doz  
3 Jun 2008 16:51 | Quote
United Kingdom
League: I meant bands are more pressured to tour now, otherwise the money just doesn't come in for them.
GuitarBoy666  
3 Jun 2008 17:02 | Quote
Canada
Yeah it seems like bands HAVE to tour because of downloading now. Albums aren't selling as much so they have to maintain the money by tours and merchandise.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.