Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Practice Regime

General Chat
deefa  
23 Mar 2008 09:36 | Quote
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not sure which category this belongs in so I've put it in General chat.
I suppose in a way this question arises from another thread " How long do you practice?" and reading it and all it's comments made me realize that I'm not making the most of my (practice) time, so I've decided to have a serious think about a) how much time I can spend practicing and b)how to divide that time and prioritize it so I can improve my skills.
How would you fella's approach it?
Doz  
23 Mar 2008 10:01 | Quote
United Kingdom
I've told myself I'd set up a practice regime to follow loads, but I never get round to it. I still intend to though. Anyways, I guess you need to include (depending on your style of music)...

- Warm up (chromatics, scales, arpeggios)
- Songs (learn a new song, work on a song)
- Improvisation
- Songwriting (even if it's just making little riffs, to get better)
- Music Theory
- Rhythms
- Advanced techniques (sweeping, tapping)

That's only a few of the things, and it's aimed at all rounders like myself... and yeah - I bet there's a lot I didn't cover, so the first step would to be write a list of all the things you play (techniques, genres) and all the goals you want to acheive and then work it out from there.
GRX40  
23 Mar 2008 19:30 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I just made a practice schedule today. I divide it into scale work, like playing the scales, playing in thirds. Right now, I'm working on C and G major and A and E minor.

Next, I do technique, stuff like hammer-ons, pull-offs, making chords for each of the scsles sound good.

Then I do some songs or method book work...

I'm just trying to get basic stuff down right now, so there's nothing too advanced. I'm on vacation now, so I have lots of time to do it all, but I might alter the amount of stuff I do once school starts back up.
goodtunes  
23 Mar 2008 21:08 | Quote
United States
non related to the thread but Doz congrats on surpassing guitarboy666 in number of posts lol. speaking of what happened to him havent seen a post from him in quite awhile. i hope his parents didnt figure out how much he like to drop the f bomb on here and ban him :)
deefa  
24 Mar 2008 06:27 | Quote
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments fellas. I'm doing pretty well all the things you're talking about, but the problem is that all I'm doing is getting better at the things I have already achieved rather than achieving anything new.
Any "rut busting" ideas chaps (and/or chapesses, she who must be obeyed has been reading me the riot act about being a bit more PC. Fat chance!).
les_paul  
24 Mar 2008 09:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I never thought about having a planed layout for my practice I always just play. Sounds like a good idea. Deefa I was in the same rut seemed like I was just doing the same things over and over, I just started listening to different music that I haven't heard in a while. Like and old Jimi Hendrix cd that I've not played in a long time. I listened to new music and got on the net and found the tab for some new songs just broke the monotony.
Doz  
24 Mar 2008 10:13 | Quote
United Kingdom
@goodtunes: I used to be hundreds ahead of him... but he sort of posted like mental non stop. Shame though, because know he hasn't posted at all in ages.
les_paul  
24 Mar 2008 10:18 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I think his computer must have melted down from all the posts. lol. He has not been on his myspace since January as well.
deefa  
24 Mar 2008 11:01 | Quote
United Kingdom
Yep! Sounds like a major grounding. Either that or his folks found out how old I am and thought I was doing a bit of 'grooming'!
Doz  
24 Mar 2008 13:31 | Quote
United Kingdom
Ah, from what you say then les_paul, he probably hasn't ditched the forums and I reckon he'll come back.
league  
24 Mar 2008 18:00 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
I hope he hasn't bit the dust because that has happened in other posts i've been on. Anyways, I don't really warm up although I agree it is a good idea. I practice the scales I already know and try to learn new ones. I listen to a lot of the same songs and try to play them. Then I write and try to play really fast.
goodtunes  
25 Mar 2008 00:20 | Quote
United States
IMO how you practice can really determine how much you get for the time you spend. thats just something i have learned from other non guitar stuff. a little good practice is prob better than alot of "bad" (if there is such thing) or just banging away at the strings time.

i gotta say that i have to come up with a practice routine myself if i am gonna get any better anytime soon. i dont know if yall remeber or if i have said b4 but i just recently picked up the guitar. i have hit a wall and havent gotten any better in the last few weeks. i can only play a few chords. i am gonna start doing a warm up of going up and down the frets on each string to get some muscle memory and dexterity built up. then also i figured it would be good to practice some scales i saw GS's lessons on another thread and they looked good. i also bought a little gig bag book full of nothing but scales with the music and tabs on top of each other. i hope following and trying to memorize a few will jumpstart me into better practicing.

sorry to ramble but its late and i dont wanna go to bed because that means when i wake up i gotta go to work.
Doz  
25 Mar 2008 00:22 | Quote
United Kingdom
I agree with your post, about the good practice vs bad practice.
Notim  
25 Mar 2008 11:22 | Quote
United States
I dont have a schedule anymore but used to a long time ago I guess for me its what ever I feel like working on or playing.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.