Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

new gear, your thoughts

Instruments and Gear
dsesh  
27 Dec 2007 21:02 | Quote
United States
well, about a year ago i started playing guitar... bought a super crappy strat copy that just said electric guitar on it... then about 6 months ago i bought a mim strat, im not sure what version im sure the cheapest one... not a squire though. aaanyways. this guitar which i love and have had no problems with and my microcube have been all i have been working with as i play drums and do hip hop production and havent really had money to drop on other gear...im self taught (with the help of you guys and this site) and i would say now i am a beginner intermediate, i know my way around the neck (kind of) and have written a handfull of decent songs.
I went into a guitar shop the other day as i felt i needed a new piece of gear to keep my interest focused and inspire me a little and i came across a few things that blew my mind

first of all.. the amp that i was plugged into at the guitar store... i forgot a guitar even had lo tones i have been playing only on this microcube for so long... it is definatly time for me to get a new amp..... i have about 200-300 dollars to spend on a USED amp... i wanted some suggestions, i play rock, folk, etc... and am thinking an amp with a nice clean sound so i can add my own effects and shape the sound would be nice... another way of going is just a vintage rock amp... i dont even know where to start my search or what i should be looking for so some help on that would be nice

also i was looking at maybe a delay pedol or an effects unit...i was looking at the boss dd6 and the pod six (on recomendation) and was looking for thoughts on those...or something else

and lasty...dahm it i want a 52(reissue) telecaster i playd one and the tone blew my mind... having said that i have only played strats really. and was wondering if people could suggest some other guitars to check out (that purchase is probably a year from now though)
i know the obvious is strat teli and a les paul

thanks before hand

now to my questions
GuitarBoy666  
28 Dec 2007 01:52 | Quote
Canada
Amp:
Line 6 or Marshall
Pedal:
Digitech GNS (more recent versions are better)
Guitar:
Godin Exit 22, amazing and versatile
Guitarslinger124  
28 Dec 2007 11:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
i have a Pod 2.0 with a line 6 pedal board and it rocks for recording. the pod has excellent tones and the software is very easy to use. i dont use it live though. for my live rig i think like you. i got an amp that has a great clean tone and shaped my sound using only two pedals. I use a Carvin SX-200c. i doubt youll find a used one and you wont find it in any guitar shops because carvin only makes custom shop equipment. i bought it for around $400 and it is really incredible. as for guitars, i hate tele's and i hate strats so i cant help you there.
Doz  
28 Dec 2007 11:24 | Quote
United Kingdom
Amp: don't get tricked by the bad Line 6s (there are some good ones), and cheap Marshalls are no good - but since you're buying used you might be able to get something worth the money.

As for pedals, I'm not really sure. I don't really use delay effects in my sound, and how much are you spending on your guitar?

Make sure to come back here and post what ideas you've got for equipment - just to make sure you don't make any slip ups.
GuitarBoy666  
28 Dec 2007 12:16 | Quote
Canada
Well, Doz, Line 6's are pretty good, sometimes you just need to spend a bit of time getting "your setting" that you like on it. But Crate amps are really good and so are Orange as well.

It just really depends on personal preference, me, I LOVE my line 6
137bing137  
28 Dec 2007 13:37 | Quote
United Kingdom
Alot of people say that line6 amps are rubbish.. but i use one and i think they are really good. Great tones, great effects and great price what more do you want?
deefa  
28 Dec 2007 15:00 | Quote
United Kingdom
If you like Tele's, have a look at the G&L Tribute ASAT. I've been playing mine for about 18months now, and I honestly believe it beats the Fender original hands down (mind you,it should. It was the last Tele designed by Leo Fender before he died!). As well as looks, build quality and playability, it cost me a little under £500 (about $1000 us) brand new.
Paul
Guitarslinger124  
28 Dec 2007 15:34 | Quote
United States
all the line 6 amps ive played have way too much hum. the line 6 effects boxes rock though.
GuitarBoy666  
28 Dec 2007 20:07 | Quote
Canada
mine doesnt hum. only when i use crappy guitars or non humbuckers
Guitarslinger124  
28 Dec 2007 20:53 | Quote
United States
which one do you have...
dsesh  
28 Dec 2007 21:19 | Quote
United States
thanks for all your thoughts.... i think i have decided to get a new amp first... followed by an effects pedal....then finally the guitar because the guitar i have is more then ample for my skill level and i enjoy playing it...

i probably have 200-300 right now to drop on an amp... so my further questions are...

1. is that enough... i dont want to regret my purchase or have to buy something 6 months down the line

2. i know this is a bit much.... but its very hard to work my way through all the suttle differences in these used amps im looking at.... if you could go on ebay and check out amps i live in california..

or san diego craigslist

if i am being to lazy tell me and ill find a few ebay links for you guys to look at.

thanks again the help has been great....i went and played a G&L and its gorgious and out of my price range but im cool with the shop owner so ill be back to visit it till i can grab that... unless i find something i love more since i am probably a year away from that purchase
Rshred  
28 Dec 2007 21:41 | Quote
United States
Licks: 4
hhhmmm....i really wouldnt buy any gear without playing it first...but i do have to agree with guitarslinger, Carvin amps are really amazing. They have crystal clear clean tones (although they tend to be a little bright), and enough distortion to satisfy your average rock guitarist. however those amps may very well be a little out of your price range. fender amps are known for there lush tones, but really arent all that great for the rock gutiarist. there is one amp that, for its size, truly kicks ass. the roland cube amp. i thinks you can get them in 15-30watts and they just rock. they have surprising versatility for such a small amp, they arent all that expensive and they are good for mellow music as well as heavier stuff. those are the best three amps i can think of a rock guitarist. (if you lean more towards metal, than look at crate or marshall-although its hard to find a decent marshall for less than $300).
dsesh  
28 Dec 2007 22:11 | Quote
United States
i would definatly try out one of those cube amps... 200 bucks to me sounds alot better then 300 right now...and the 30 watt cube amp looks good...any downsides? have great reviews, compact, good clean sound,...also in the store its not exactly like i can blast that.... that amp should be more then powerful to have a drummer right next to me in a house playing hard and be able to hold my own... i would assume even the 15 could do that
GuitarBoy666  
28 Dec 2007 23:32 | Quote
Canada
Guitarslinger124 says:
whic one do you have...

Line 6 Spider III 30 Plugged into a Kustom 100 Watt + Godin Exit 22 / Epiphone Les Paul Special II

I don't hear any noise (only on setting 3 and 5 and somewhat on 2 with the Godin (non humbucker pups)
league  
29 Dec 2007 01:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
If you live in the San Diego area go to the Guitar Center in La Mesa. They have some pretty good used amps. The best reason to go is that you could try everything out. I feel like a kid in a candy store at Guitar Center.
Rshred  
29 Dec 2007 09:30 | Quote
United States
Licks: 4
well the only downside to the cube amps is that they are small and arent really good for gigging. but if you're just jammin' in your home you should be fine.
GuitarBoy666  
29 Dec 2007 13:45 | Quote
Canada
league says:
I feel like a kid in a candy store at Guitar Center.

LoL
Notim  
29 Dec 2007 14:22 | Quote
United States
Next time you go there ask if they have a RR1 then ask if you can play it(action jackson)lol
Doz  
29 Dec 2007 17:02 | Quote
United Kingdom
Seriously... when you crank even the higher wattage spiders you're not going to get anything sounding nice. I've spent hours trying to get a good setting with a spider and I can easily beat it with a cube.

There are some OK line 6s though, even cranked.

Plus, the 60 watt cube should be alright for gigging if they have a PA.
dsesh  
29 Dec 2007 19:10 | Quote
United States
thank you guys again... ill def go to the guitar center there (im there alot anyways)

i dont think i will have a problem about gigging as if i am playing gigs its usualy with drums or a mic, but i would want (im looking at the cube 30 watt mostly) to at least be able to play a house party at a decent level..... other then that i am taking the guitar recomendations but a blonde telecaster with a black half pick guard to me may be one of the most gorgous things i have ever seen.....

i think id rather play that at a quality of 9 then something else at 10, since i would consider myself a beginner-intermediate on the guitar and dont think i will be limited by it, the fact that it makes me want to play every time i look at it i think will do me well...

so having said that i think the effects thing i need to focus on most...the guitar and amp will just be trying out stuff...

the effects i would rather have a dedicated pedal then something that offers 100 sounds at half quality, i do music production and i can add most effects that i need to in the studio... i do want to be able to record a delay loop and have a really nice sound.

mostly the guitar will just be used for writing songs and the amp and guitar and effects are mostly just to inspire myself... thanks again people... i just got intoxicated so i am not sure how much i rambled
GuitarBoy666  
29 Dec 2007 22:37 | Quote
Canada
Fer a beginner intermediate you sure don't sound like one. Hope everything works out, good luck !

And Doz,
I am not trying to start a fight or anything over line 6's, these are just our opinions, you don't like them, I do. I think my amp combo is pretty decent (considering I am only a kid who doesn't make money etc. And I can only afford this stuff. And don't forget - the guitar can change the sound too....
Guitarslinger124  
30 Dec 2007 00:27 | Quote
United States
the line 6 cabinets arent bad at all...Dino from Divine Heresy uses them. and hes got a great tone.
league  
30 Dec 2007 04:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
In response to notim: I always end up hitting the guitars on something and the employees just stare. Lol.
dsesh  
30 Dec 2007 12:33 | Quote
United States
guitarboy666, when i watch my friends play... and see some things done on the guitar i want to bump myself back down to beginner...

i have a fairly decent understanding on the neck.. like i can move around with chords when i am jamming and im usually making the right sounds... and as i have been playing guitar i have been paying a bit of attention to the music side of things..

i would say i could pass for a rythm guitarist if nothing to special is needed,
however i think now its time to start actually focusing on practising and learning.. untill now i have just been teaching myself chords and through writing songs i have learned alot...

now may be the time to get a teacher or start learning other peoples songs since i can understand what the teacher is telling me and i dont have to waste alot of time learning the basics, tell me to play some chords and i should just be able to bang em out.... to me... im just beginning to push into intermediate

GuitarBoy666  
30 Dec 2007 13:25 | Quote
Canada
Well as long as you keep at it, sesh, in no time you will be a great guitarist. I have only been playing for 2 years and 5 days because my guitar was a christmas prezzie and I picked it up quite naturally. I picked it up and actually looked at chord fingerings and started strumming them within 2 seconds.

Now I am pretty good, I'd say probably advanced, but I am definitely never gonna be as good as Kirk or James or Dimebag.

And don't forget,
It's not all about like knowing your terms (but that is very important) or knowing the names of the chord right off. But remember, your speed, too, and your ability to keep a certain speed/rhythm, that is very very important too especially if you are in a band (like heavy metal)

See Slinger has the right idea :P I love the amps.

League, haha I hit a really expensive Gibson Explorer off the counter as I was going to play it lmao (probably at least 1,500 dollars) and luckily no one saw... or heard. But there was no marking or anything -phew-
dsesh  
30 Dec 2007 14:18 | Quote
United States
yea your right 666, i definatly need to work on my strumming, as far as my timing im a drummer so im decent on that... i am not getting into scale and solo work a bit as well... i am definatly learning very fast
GuitarBoy666  
30 Dec 2007 14:24 | Quote
Canada
Just keep at it.
I taught myself for 9 months then took lessons. I quit recently. I can just teach myself now that I am pretty fast and getting pretty good with my speed and rhythm etc.
dsesh  
30 Dec 2007 17:15 | Quote
United States
well... thanks everyone for the help...keep it coming of course as far as the effects and guitars are concerned...

just wanted to let those that helped or cared i just bought a roland cube30x for 160 bucks... i figure that way i can probably get an effects pedal and an amp now and since i need something portable it seems like a great buy.. specialy for that price...

so now i need to know what you think of the boss ddr 6

its important to me to have a loop effect and the reverse would probably be cool

they seem to be around 130 used...i wouldnt mind paying like 50-80 for something if you could suggest something worth it...thanks again

now i have a microcube and 30x
GuitarBoy666  
30 Dec 2007 17:52 | Quote
Canada
That sounds pretty good,
If you want other people's opinions and score (1-10) on a pedal, check out www.ultimate-guitar.com and type in the name of the product under "reviews" (its a drop down box) and then it shows all kinda of reviews and scores from real users, not critics, just normal guitar players. Then you will know what you are looking for beacuase most reviews are pretty detailed.
Doz  
30 Dec 2007 19:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
Hey guitarboy, I aren't starting any arguement - don't worry. I'm just expressing my opinion after having a few years experiance with this particular amps and having played a lot of other amps.

Dsesh - the cubes are a good buy, and the 30 watt should do you well I think.

PLUS: line 6 cabinets aren't actually the amp, unless GuitarSlinger meant to say stack rather than cab. If you're using a good enough amp then you can make a lot of cabs sound good.
GuitarBoy666  
30 Dec 2007 20:00 | Quote
Canada
Well, good to know, it's okay to have an opinion. I just wanna make sure no one will actually fight or anything about it. I probably like them because I haven't played a whole lot of amps, but I have played enough to know that this is one of the best I played, plus it was really affordable for me. Maybe put a few peds in there and it can be better sounding, who knows ?
Doz  
30 Dec 2007 20:12 | Quote
United Kingdom
Do you play in a band GuitarBoy?
GuitarBoy666  
30 Dec 2007 22:04 | Quote
Canada
HOPEFULLY making one with some friends soon..er.. SOMETIME...
dsesh  
12 Jan 2008 16:28 | Quote
United States
well, i got my cube 30x amp, love it it is amazing, then by luck i got a fender princeton 65 for free, then i copped the boss dd6 delay pedal...very happy with all my buys
tAUG  
15 Jan 2008 08:15 | Quote
Sweden
GuitarBoy666 says:
I haven't played a whole lot of amps, but I have played enough to know that this is one of the best I played

oO, deep man.. deep

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.