Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Guitar fretboard

General Chat
devilchild  
25 Nov 2011 13:34 | Quote
United Kingdom
How many of you know every single note on the guitar fretboard off by heart? If you do, what do you think is the best way to memorize it?
JustJeff  
25 Nov 2011 15:13 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Draw the fretboard out and label all the notes. Read it everyday.

I know most of them. Get's a little fuzzy in some places, but given a bit of time I can figure out everything.
nullnaught  
25 Nov 2011 15:25 | Quote
telecrater  
25 Nov 2011 15:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
JustJeff says:
Draw the fretboard out and label all the notes. Read it everyday.

I know most of them. Get's a little fuzzy in some places, but given a bit of time I can figure out everything.

I would second this!!! Draw it out, then with it layed out on your desk or lap or were ever you practice seek out all the F notes, then C, then A# etc. After a while you will get it
btimm  
25 Nov 2011 15:45 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
I have it mostly memorized, slower with some parts than others. Basically I found it easiest to remember where certain chords are know the notes in the chords. For example, I know the A major barre chord (one form of it) is rooted on the E string, 5th fret. I know that the chord is laid out as below:

From there, I knew the steps were:

And therefore, for the A-major barre chord, the notes would be:

A
E
A
C#
E
A

Knowing my chords and also learning triads helped me to learn the fretboard in a fairly enjoyable manner, without being extremely monotonous and taxing, like Jeff's suggestion. Note, that is not to say Jeff's suggestion is poor; it's actually pretty good. It just didn't work as well for me as learning chords did.

The reality is that there are many ways to go about learning the fretboard, and you just have to figure out a way that works for you.
MoshZilla1016  
25 Nov 2011 15:46 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
Remember on each string all notes can be played in only two places. Unless you have 24 frets then frets 0-12-24 will be the same notes.
This would be every A note on a 22 fret guitar.

e----------------------------5-17----------
B----------------------10-22---------------
G----------------2-14----------------------
D-----------7-19---------------------------
A------0-12--------------------------------
E-5-17-------------------------------------

I also learned by making chords in as many intervals as possible and identifying the roots of every pattern. Learn all of the naturals then fill the gaps with the sharps/flats. May not be the best way but it worked for me.
nullnaught  
25 Nov 2011 17:05 | Quote
Or you can memorize your 4ths. Which i believe is most of the fretboard except from the G string to the B string.
telecrater  
26 Nov 2011 11:09 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Check out this DVD

The Alchemical Guitarist DVD

It really opened my brain to how the guitar is tuned and works. Some of the lessons are on YouTube

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.