Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Confusing Theory

Music Theory
Mezzie  
5 Aug 2010 05:38 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 3
Hey everyone, so i've started learning music theory about 2 - 3 weeks ago but then i stopped learning it and said is this really that important to my playing? So i got side tracked and just started learning some different songs. So my question to you is " Do I Really Need To Know Music Theory To Improve My Guitar Playing" i also know by learning theory it will improve my understanding of music but i just want to hear what you guyz have to say
Thanks Mezzie
Empirism  
5 Aug 2010 08:07 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
You should learn basics atleast. Ofcourse music theory is huge area to explore, but it is really rewarding.
Mezzie  
5 Aug 2010 09:18 | Quote
Canada
Thanks empirism, i already know the basics of music theory. But i was wondering if i should learn it thoroughly or not and if it can improve my guitar playing
Empirism  
5 Aug 2010 09:30 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Yeah, definately it will improve. You can technically play without understanding theory, but like in my case forexample, I felt I was quite stuck in my progress, but with encouragement by this site's Jazzy, Carl and others to study, I do not feel like that anymore, but only study harder.
Admiral  
5 Aug 2010 11:35 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
You may not believe it, but knowing music theory makes everything so much easier.
macandkanga  
5 Aug 2010 11:54 | Quote
United States
I played from age 13 to about 24 or 25 with no lessons or any theory. I was pretty good but stuck. Then I got a book called "The Heavy Guitar Bible". I started to learn theory and it changed everything. I started to understand how notes and groups of notes related to each other and why.

When you know WHAT your doing and HOW, it's one thing. But when you know WHY, you learn more WHATS and HOWS!
Domigan_Lefty  
5 Aug 2010 14:11 | Quote
United States
I dont really use theory too much anymore.
At first i would use bits and pieces, but ive gotten to know my guitar by fret and string numbers.
The only thing i use of theory anymore is the major scale. Which i use to find where i am when i get lost.

Not much theory about powerchords and divebombing...
macandkanga  
5 Aug 2010 15:12 | Quote
United States
There are lots of famous guitarist that dont know how to read music but most of them at least know theory. I would think that most of the people in this forum would agree. Without theory, your just imitating what you hear. There's nothing wrong with that if that's all you want to do but if you want to be able to be more creative, I assure you that learning theory would definetly help.
Mezzie  
5 Aug 2010 15:22 | Quote
Canada
Well, after reading what u guyz all said you convinced me to continue learning theory and i'm happy with that, but my next question is if anyones knows a good site to learn guitar theory??
macandkanga  
5 Aug 2010 15:33 | Quote
United States
I really like this one: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.