Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Rockin' Rhythms?

Technique
marcush  
1 Apr 2010 04:52 | Quote
New Zealand
I need help. I'm trying to play some classic rock rhythms on guitar, Malcolm Young style. I know the basic elements, but I can't seem to get the finer techniques down. If anyone could give me some AC/DC (or GnR) rhythm patterns (complete with the up-down directions... yes I can't work them out) or some other rhythm patterns of that era and genre, I'd be really grateful. Even just a helpful tip will do =)
case211  
1 Apr 2010 18:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
try to use your ear, don't try to play EXACTLY as Izzy or Malcolm do, since that might not be how you want to go about it. Just pop in a record and listen to the way that the rhythm parts are played and the overall feel of them(very bluesy/hard rock sound).
If you want a tip though, put your gain on about 9(on your amp), turn the volume up to 11, and blast an open A chord :D coming back to that is very useful since it's so good sounding ;)
marcush  
1 Apr 2010 21:42 | Quote
New Zealand
Hm I will try that... I think I just have to keep practising =P although, do they use a lot of palm muting? I can't often make it out due to the cacophony of other sounds.
Ozzfan486  
1 Apr 2010 21:54 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Palm mutes would really be dictated by the feel of the song man. You just have to listen closely. Or, if it's easier, listen to the solos first. That way you know what the backing sound is that you want to hear. It'll be what backs up the solo of course. Hope that helps.

Ozz
Empirism  
3 Apr 2010 11:28 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
If you listen to AC/DC you will notice that those songs and riffs are really simple... what makes them work so good then? Rhythm. I agree with Case that listen and jam. jam and listen... thats the way im sure you hit the spot sooner or later...

I use down, down (mute), up, up and down strokes in a pattern or measure (how you say that) usually, but its just me. Other ways it works too, find your style m8.

Cheers
Empirism
telecrater  
3 Apr 2010 21:11 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I've got a boot by Troy Stetina on lead guitar that covers mostly technique but the same guy has a series of two books on Heavy Metal Rhythm Guitar. You work on technique then perform a progression/song. That's my favorite approch. I've got a pdf of the first one and really pretty good (this coming from a non-metal guy) PM me I'll hook you up.
Ozzfan486  
4 Apr 2010 01:01 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Woah! When I was still taking lessons, my teacher taught me a lot out of those Troy Stetina books. They're pretty good. I thought they were a one-off kind of thing though.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.