Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

amp adjustments

Technique
sujun  
24 Nov 2009 22:53 | Quote
hi there, i've been playing acoustic guitar for some time and im moving to electric guitar now. i play mostly rock/pop punk songs, any suggestion how i should adjust on my spider iv 15w amp? theres drive, bass, mid, treble, chan volume n effects.
Schecter_player  
24 Nov 2009 23:08 | Quote
Canada
Well, there is the whole idea of "metal EQ" where you cut the mids. If you want a thicker sound turn up the mids. However, i'm probably not going to have the best response here.

And i'm sure that someone will want to suggest that you just turn everything to ten, so i'll beat em to the punch. Turn them all to ten.
Domigan_Lefty  
25 Nov 2009 07:54 | Quote
United States
Dang, you beat me!
Anyway, turn em all to ten.

Then if you dont like it you can mess with them a litte...
case211  
25 Nov 2009 08:14 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
I would say turn them all to 5 then experiment. see, your tone is affected by everything in your chain(of course) but the EQ knobs and the gain are very unique in their interactions.
My tone settings are(after years of emulating, I've stopped after hitting this):
Gain(Vintage Marshall plexi type):7 Bass:10 Mid:5 Treb.:3 Volume:2-4(It's 80 Watts!)

This is also after an EQ pedal with a Midrange boost and the output boosted to increase the crunch and drive of the amp a little bit more, so it has a unique sound to it.

Look up some of your guitar hero's settings, then try those out, and tweak them to your liking. For example, if your a VH fan like myself, but you don't want as much treble as he used, turn down the treble a bit.

Turning everything to 10 doesn't always get you a good tone, because not every amplifier sounds good like that, some need to be at 5 to be flat(active EQ).

Just play around with the knobs, you'll be surprised at the very different sounds you can get by scooping the mids, and adding them back in slowly.
fender_bender  
25 Nov 2009 10:47 | Quote
United States
How do you like that spider 4? I have a spider 2 as a practice amp and I don't care much for it. The chorus is terrible on my spider 2. It makes me choke as soon as I turn it on. The insane amp model isn't too bad if you cut the drive back. There are no magic amp settings. Its all experimentation. I set all of mine to 5 to start out and tweak from there just like Case said.
BodomBeachTerror  
25 Nov 2009 10:57 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
mids full, treb just over half, bass just under half, play with the gain, im not sure how much gain that amp has so i cant tell you were to put it

but really, just play around.
case211  
25 Nov 2009 11:21 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
also I read that the Red setting on the crunch setting is modeled after the Eddie Van Halen Plexi(Don't know if it turns red or not on the 15 watt version)

but the Insane setting on that amp, or any Line 6 spider, has a lot and I mean A LOT of BROOTAL distortion! lol
sujun  
26 Nov 2009 02:17 | Quote
sujun  
26 Nov 2009 02:20 | Quote
How do you like that spider 4? I have a spider 2 as a practice amp and I don't care much for it. The chorus is terrible on my spider 2. It makes me choke as soon as I turn it on. The insane amp model isn't too bad if you cut the drive back. There are no magic amp settings. Its all experimentation. I set all of mine to 5 to start out and tweak from there just like Case said.

cant really give my opinion, becus i m still trying to figure out the adjustments. but yes the insane channel is crazy!!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.