Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

B7sus4

Music Theory
raptorclaws  
5 Nov 2009 17:35 | Quote
Canada
I was showing a friend how to play an accoustic version of 'Venus' by Shocking Blue...one of the first songs I learned on the guitar.

He asked what the opening chord was and I never thought about it before...so I put the notes into the chord name finder on this site on it came out as a 'B7sus4'.

It's made by a bar on the 7th fret...then fret the 9th fret of the A and G string.

could someone please explain the chord to me. I understand the root or 'B' part but not the '7sus4' part. What is the theory that changed this from a B7 to 7sus4 ?

thanks
nater2  
5 Nov 2009 20:33 | Quote
United States
to make a B7 a B7sus you just bring the third up a half step(a suspension) so in your case, adding an E to the B7 chord
JustJeff  
6 Nov 2009 00:12 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
I feel like the name of this chord would be more obvious if you give us the progression. Depending on how you resolve it, I think it would have a different name, theory wise. I am curious: What is the progression?
Guitarslinger124  
6 Nov 2009 08:24 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
A B7sus4 would be:

e:-7 ---B root
B:-7 ---F# fifth
G:-9 ---E fourth, hence 'sus4'
D:-7 ---A flat seventh
A:-9 ---F# fifth
E:-7 ---B root fo chord

check out my lesson, "the art of shredding part 3" for more info aout seventh chords.
raptorclaws  
7 Nov 2009 14:29 | Quote
Canada
Thanks for all the responses. I've been motivated to tackle the theory on sus chords. One of the issues to sort through is multiple 'sus' names for the same chord.
raptorclaws  
7 Nov 2009 14:40 | Quote
Canada
JustJeff says:
I feel like the name of this chord would be more obvious if you give us the progression. Depending on how you resolve it, I think it would have a different name, theory wise. I am curious: What is the progression?

Your question is a reminder that we often 'assume' a lot. My assumption is that everyone is over the age of 50. The B7sus4 is the opening chord before the rhythm (Em/A) on the folowing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2DBcbZc3ck&feature=fvw

RA  
7 Nov 2009 19:08 | Quote
United States
@raptor ha i was thinking the same thing as jeff and when i payed the song of your link I started laughing who hasn't heard this song. but wheres the keyboard player???

to answer your question I'm going to call it B7sus4 it fits diatonically as a Esus but don't always think in terms of the diatonic. They were messing with I-IV-V progression no doubt. Besides it's point is just to jar concussions in you.
carlsnow  
8 Nov 2009 16:55 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
(overheard conversation)
"B4 !"
B4?"
"No!"
"B4; as in ( *s t u m s *) then sings 'its been a hard days...'"
"oh THAT one!"-"yeah sure"
(overheard last time i was in-studio this wk lol)

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.