Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to get that Gary Moore sound and two other questions.

Technique
Mici  
30 Oct 2009 12:44 | Quote
Kosovo
1. Listening to Gary Moore I noticed there is a special sound he does when soloing. He's in the middle of the solo and then there comes this sound that sounds like a chord but it's not cause he's still soloing. I can see he moves his left hand to the low end of the neck but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what exactly he does. I think David Gilmour does that, too.

2. Do you get lower volume levels with squealies? Occasionally I try to practice a little bit with pinch harmonics and I've noticed they're never as loud as the rest. First I thought I'd learn the trick with time and practice but it's not making a difference anymore so I thought maybe it could be normal. Any other tips on pinch harmonics (squealies) are appreciated.

3. I'm trying to learn tapping so I'm kindly asking if any of you guys has any tips to share with all us others on the matter, like some sort of exercise for beginners (or intermediates for all the other guys already better than me).
BodomBeachTerror  
30 Oct 2009 12:46 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
what solo?
fender_bender  
30 Oct 2009 12:54 | Quote
United States
Which kind of 'squealies' the kind where you put your finger on the string or the kind where you pick the string and then slightly touch it with the side of your thumb knuckle? Where you touch the string (with your pick hand) is going to change volume and pitch. I can't explain it very well.
fender_bender  
30 Oct 2009 12:56 | Quote
United States
Is that even pinch harmonics I'm talking about. It makes sense, but I taught myself to play and don't know ALL the terms.
nater2  
30 Oct 2009 13:34 | Quote
United States
@fender. i'm not sure if that's what he's thinking of but that's what your talking about
AlexB  
30 Oct 2009 13:38 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
Yeah,wich solo is it man?
fender_bender  
30 Oct 2009 13:41 | Quote
United States
@ Nater2
Good! Because I've been calling them pinch harmonics for quite sometime!
Mici  
1 Nov 2009 09:40 | Quote
Kosovo
@Fender
I'm talkin' about PINCH harmonics, the ones where you "pinch" the string. That would be the second of those you mentioned. So, the volume changes with you, too?
@BBT & AlexB
I was gonna put a link to "Still Got The Blues" and tell you the time in the video when he does that but to totally forgot about that. Here's it:

He first does that at 2:37, first note on the solo, and then at pretty much in the beginning of every "line" of the solo.
I think I've heard David Gilmour do that in "Comfortably Numb", I'm not sure, though.
case211  
1 Nov 2009 10:53 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=169

Here's a lesson I did on tapping, hope it helps, if not just let me know
Mici  
1 Nov 2009 12:25 | Quote
Kosovo
Thank you, man! That will keep me bizzy for some time. LOL!
BodomBeachTerror  
1 Nov 2009 14:18 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
do you mean when he just slides down the neck? i think thats all he is doing
Mici  
2 Nov 2009 06:46 | Quote
Kosovo
Well, you may be right. I dunno, cause it sounds kinda kewl to me. It's quite a thick sound, you know, so I thought maybe he was doing more.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.