Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Pitch Axis/Modal Interchange

General Chat
Afro_Raven  
9 Jan 2007 16:13 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
I think this is probably one for the slightly more advanced players. Would someone please explain what the DIFFERENCE is between the two? I have read so many different articles about them and from what I understand they are based on picking a key/tonal centre and then changing the mode/scale being played over the top, while keeping the scale root the same. Obviously this cannot be the case for both, so any info would be great. Many thanks.

The Afro
P.S. I no longer have my afro due to the way modern society generally is to men and in particular 16/17 year old guys with long hair. Classic 'Bon Scott' syndrome really innit?
Moonlit  
10 Jan 2007 03:25 | Quote
United States
You seem to already understand pitch axis(using parallel modes). Modal interchange is just a term used to describe moving in and out of relative and/or parallel modes in a piece, without losing the overall tonality. You can use different chords to imply a new modal tonality, or you could temporarily switch between parallel Major/Minor modes. There are lots of things you can do.
Afro_Raven  
12 Jan 2007 14:52 | Quote
United Kingdom
So let me see if I've got this right. Modal Interchange is simply changing the modes that are played that are specific to the key I'm in. e.g. In key of G use chords G, Am and D. Play with C Lydian, A Dorian, D Mixolydian, etc.

Pitch Axis is playing different modes all with the same root note, e.g. in key of G use same chords as before. Play with B Phrygian, B Ionian, B Locrian, B Harm. Minor, etc. ? When using Pitch Axis does the root note of all the scales being played have to be in the key that is being used?

Many thanks.
Littlewing  
1 Oct 2008 19:17 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 5
Pitch Axis is the theory that every mode has a chord that goes with it I believe.
bodom  
2 Oct 2008 14:34 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 4
Wow this thread is real old!! Man I got excited there I thought Moonlit was back.
Afro_Raven  
2 Oct 2008 16:49 | Quote
United Kingdom
Shit, I'd forgotten I'd even written this! And I'm still not sure of the difference between the two now.

Afro
league  
2 Oct 2008 20:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Haha The good ole days werent they Afro? No one knew shit back then except Afro and MightyDave.
JazzMaverick  
3 Oct 2008 08:13 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
From what I know of it...

Chords can be borrowed from other modes. Which is almost always called modal interchange and is common between a major key and its parallel minor. (not the relative minor which has the same key signature, but the minor key which has the same tonic). Chords can be borrowed from the harmonic minor, melodic minor or any minor mode.
e.g. In C Maj you can 'borrow' chords from C min, C Harm min, C Dorian, C Aeolian etc.

(I did this without even realising! haha)

Jazz musicians often re-harmonise standard tunes not only by altering chords but by using substitute chords. When an established melody is being played the choice of these new chords is restricted by the melody note. However, during improvised solos there is far more freedom.

The modal interchange works with any of the parallel minor modes or scales.

Some keen guy called Mike Campese wrote an article on it:

http://www.guitar9.com/columnist286.html
bodom  
3 Oct 2008 14:33 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 4
@league
Actually there were a few people who knew thier *** back then. And they actually posted and answered guitar related material.Not like it is now,if someone has a bowel movment they feel the need to make a topic about it.
sixtiesguy  
6 Oct 2008 08:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
MOLOSH!!!!

That reminds me of a sound I made one time when I broke wind and followed through.........MOLOSH!!!

@ Bodom:- You're absolutely right and I apologise for exacerbating the situation with this childish comment. I promise to TRY not to do it again!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.