Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Tell me if this is right(discussing modes)

Music Theory
melodicminor  
22 Oct 2009 11:26 | Quote
Ok so there's alot of talk about modes which from my understanding is a variation on scales.I want to clarify the use of modes and see if what i believe is right.I just started learning theory so I could be way off maybe.Let's take the dorian mode as an example.I inturpret this mode to be a minor scale with a #6th.I call it a monor scale because of the b3rd.So if I was using the E dorian mode I would esentialy be using the D major scale but landing on E.That's just one example I can throw out and I appreciate any feedback.
JazzMaverick  
22 Oct 2009 15:13 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Yeah, that's the jist of it, just to explain in the easiest way possible it's like this:

G Major = G(1), A(2), B(3), C(4), D(5), E(6), F#(7)
A Dorian = A(2), B(3), C(4), D(5), E(6), F#(7), G(1)
B Phrygian = B(3), C(4), D(5), E(6), F#(7), G(1), A(2)
C Lydian = C(4), D(5), E(6), F#(7), G(1), A(2), B(3)
D Mixolydian = D(5), E(6), F#(7), G(1), A(2), B(3), C(4)
E Aeolian = E(6), F#(7), G(1), A(2), B(3), C(4), D(5)
F# Locrian = F#(7), G(1), A(2), B(3), C(4), D(5), E(6)

So all you're really doing is just starting on a different note of the exact same scale. We're just calling them modes because if you use them properly they can technically be the same but sound entirely different.
RA  
23 Oct 2009 04:44 | Quote
United States
each mode is it own scale there is no variation(well it shouldn't be thought in that way). There called modes because there Diatonic. To give explanation in a simple in short way diatonic means that they share all the same notes. So the scales are modes of each other not variations of each other, they have there own identities and sound different for one other.

A scale is minor because it has a minor third and a perfect fifth. so you were half there. I give the rest in triadic thinking

major- 3 and 5
minor- b3 and 5
Aug- 3 and 5#
Dim- b3 and b5

melodicminor says:
Let's take the Dorian mode as an example.I interpret this mode to be a minor scale with a #6th

as of right now that's fine because it is imposable to memorize them all at once you just beginning, but remember there different and should eventuality be see by them selfs

melodicminor says:
So if I was using the E Dorian mode I would essentially be using the D major scale but landing on E.That's just one example I can throw out and I appreciate any feedback.

No what note you start on and end on has nothing to do with what mode your playing NOTHING. Harmonic and Melodic ides can be broken and study separately but harmony and melody are intimately woven in with each other. Your play the Dorian mode because your emphasizing the Dorian scale's harmony which would be (1,b3,5,b7,9,11,13) and the chord with all scale tones would be "Minor 13" unlike Aeolian which has a flat sixth. So a minor add 6th would be Dorian while so in E Dorian the "important" notes would be (E, G, B, and C#) and if you where to play Diatonically and solo over the next chord D major you would play the Ionian mode playing with harmonic and melodic intentions in mind not just well I'll start with D.

Edit- i also remembered something. try playing the modes on one string so you can really "hear" and "see" them.
melodicminor  
23 Oct 2009 17:49 | Quote
I appreciate all the feedback.One thing I like using the modes for is switching keys which I think help keeps things interesting.So when I'm playing in E minor which my favorite key I like to switch around to A minor and B minor the 4th and 5th of E.So i use the dorian for the B minor and phrygian for A minor.Here's my interpretaion of the other modes.Ionian(major scale)Dorian(minor #6th)Phrygian(minor b2nd)Lydian(major #4th)Mixolydian(major b7th)Aeolian(minor)Locrian(diminished)Learning music theory is the best thing I ever did in life but there is so much to it and I don't want to run the risk of thinking I know all there is that't why I'm glad i found this place.I just started plaing again about 3 months ago after years away so I know it's going to take awhile to actualy learn all this sruff on the kneck.does anyone have any suggestions on how to memorize the keys quicker.I know A,B and E minor pretty well and ofcourse thier relative majors.I like soloing in the minors mostly but I don't want to get in that rut too much.Anyway I appreciate the feedback
carlsnow  
24 Oct 2009 16:24 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
RA says:
No what note you start on and end on has nothing to do with what mode your playing NOTHING. Harmonic and Melodic ides can be broken and study separately but harmony and melody are intimately woven in with each other.

well said!

BUT
RA says:
Harmonic and Melodic ides can be broken and study separately but harmony and melody are intimately woven in with each other. Your play the Dorian mode because your emphasizing the Dorian scale's harmony

if ya get us started on "rules" of Harmony i will kill us all. especially that huge book(you know the one LOL)

RAWK!
Cs

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.