Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Harmonics,Tapping, etc.

General Chat
Ozzfan486  
2 Oct 2009 20:10 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Anyone else mess around with these much? I know most people know how to tap but I've really been getting into the tapped harmonics. If anyone could give me some tips or vids [other than "Watch Ed" and posting vids of EVH lol] on how to really get intricate with this kind of stuff I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ozz
case211  
2 Oct 2009 21:13 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
tapping 5, 7, and 12 frets above a fretted(or open) note will give you 'artificial' tapped harmonics. Honesly just play around with it, try to tap out of a certain mode/scale and just see the different moods you get. I tapped a run out of I think A minor and it sounded almost like bach!

Really fun stuff to do, all kinds of variations to try, tapped harmonics can be fun, also try things like tapping a chord in 1 tap, that gets interesting

Hope this sheds some light
carlsnow  
3 Oct 2009 09:04 | Quote
United States
find the interval that 'sounds' the harmonic, on say the G string.
lets say its the 2nd fret (A).. harmonically-tapping the 'G' at the 12th fret wont get it as its a G, you need the 14h fret (A) to Tap the G-strings 2nd fret harmonic, and should you hammer-on to 'B'(many do) you'll need to move to the 16th fret.
this is a pattern that does not change.so it pays to make note of all the various intervocalic relationships involved in what you are trying to accomplish .. and remember these relationships do NOT change.

You can also 'do' the 5th etc, if done correctly, but thats another post, lol
Happy Hunting!

RAWK!
Cs

Ozzfan486  
3 Oct 2009 12:38 | Quote
United States
Thanks guys! Oh, and case, how do you do the chord tap stuff? Like finger out a chords and use a couple fingers to tap the harmonics on another fret simultaneously or tap it out with say my index or middle and just hit the harmonincs an octave higher one by one?
case211  
3 Oct 2009 13:17 | Quote
United States
well, the chord tapping can be tricky depending on the chord shape. Typically if you do some very basic chords like A, C, E, or even F, it should only take on finger to do it. Really fun but I would try to do this first:
And (17)=tapped note

e------
b-5(17)
g-6(18)
d-7(19)
a------
e------

that "Chord"(its only actually 2 notes) is easy to finger and easy to tap. You need to make sure that your finger that you are going to tap with is angled to hit those notes at the octave(17,18,19) and make it one quick hit. Once you can do that pretty well, I would say you can start to figure out how to do more complex chords(or more arpeggios) with your tapping.
Good luck, as this little technique can be quite frustrating at first.
if you want to hear an example of this and see it in action(I know you didn't want this) but youtube "Dance the night Away" by Van Halen, its a live perf. by them(With ROTH!) and you get very good looks at what Eddie is doing. The "solo" is all tapped harmonics but he also taps out the "chord"(2 note thing again) and actually changes the shape up after 1 or 2 taps of it. Very cool stuff, and study what he does for the best example of how to do it.
If you want I could get some video or pictures of me doing it to better help out the visual aid.
BTW the intro to Spanish Fly is a tapped chord(A minor), he just uses the same type of arpeggio that he did for the intro riff to Ain't Talkin' Bout Love.

Ozzfan486  
3 Oct 2009 13:58 | Quote
United States
Oh cool. Thanks a bunch dude. Oh, and if you say anything else tonight and I don't reply it's cause I have a gig at a club with some friends of mine. The older dude even said that once he gets a little sh1t faced we'd do some kind of jam so I might be able to whip out some of my crazy stuff haha.
case211  
3 Oct 2009 15:21 | Quote
United States
good luck bro! tear it up!
Ozzfan486  
3 Oct 2009 15:33 | Quote
United States
Haha. Thanks man. Hey, this is off-topic but check it out anyway. Dave's little tidbits where he forgot the words and made new ones are hilarious man!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.