Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

5th chords

Beginners
frisa  
22 Jul 2009 02:23 | Quote
Hello, i was wondering what's the usefulness of 5th chords and power chords. Can someone explain what's power chords are for? thank you ^^
league  
22 Jul 2009 03:38 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Due to the harmonic simplicity of a power chord it is ideal to be played with a large amount of distortion and still be heard relatively clearly.

Power chords are neither major or minor so the tonality becomes straightforward.
Guitarslinger124  
22 Jul 2009 05:04 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Pretty much what league said...However, power chords are 5th chords. They are a root and a fifth. For example if you play E and B together you get a fifth chord [You can also look at 5th chords as inverted 4ths.] because B is the 5th of E [and E is the 4th of B]. You can also add the octave on top: E-B-E [or B-E-B; adding the fifth on the bottom].
Also, like league said, power/5th chords are neither major nor minor because they lack either a major 3rd or a minor 3rd.
carlsnow  
22 Jul 2009 07:34 | Quote
United States
always learn the entire Barre-chord. later, the "power" chord may be useful but i would warn against using the 2 or 3-fingered chords until you are comfortable enough to use the R50 (root, 5th, Oct) WHILE holding down the rest of the chord(don't have to play all the note, just fret them)
dig?

Cs
toastninja  
22 Jul 2009 09:28 | Quote
United States
The usefulness of the power chord is like League said its simplicity. Since you can add lots of distortion the power chord is the basis for many rock and metal songs where a riff can contain a series of power chords or other variations where you play notes individally from the chord. Try looking up some of your favorite songs and you will probably notice the extensive use of power chords.
carlsnow  
23 Jul 2009 17:36 | Quote
United States
toastninja says:
The usefulness of the power chord is like League said its simplicity. Since you can add lots of distortion the power chord is the basis for many rock and metal songs where a riff can contain a series of power chords or other variations where you play notes individally from the chord.

i could not agree more! well said!

(you knew this was coming, lol)

BUuuuuT

playing a 1+5 (or 1-5-1) "power chord" while holding down ALL the other notes of the 1-5's **Barre (parent?) chord does wonders for speed , accuracy and tonal emphasis.

my late mentor, Terry Hill(R.I.P.), after we became Bro's as well would come to (hell did sound as well) most of my hardcore bands shows back in 81-83 (Band = Koro) and cuss a blue-steak at me if he saw me play "less than half the f****** chord! ..he'd do the same with Dave ... and we were playing some insane s*** (copies of the org ep sell for over a grand on ebay and i think this (chordal discipline)is part of the reason)and playing it at what in 1982 was considered past-fast-fast-fast, lol.

what i'm geting at is this simple fact

the easy way never pays (playing just two fingers)
the 'hard' road (all notes in chord being 'held' even if not played !)

i now, after decades, will toss a 1-5 in if 'm feeling lazy or somsuch BUT i do have the ability to voice the entire chord.
(reminds me of a great Paul Gilbert goof-tune 'Better Chords' "i don't care what ya heard I'll use that major third to make better chords"-PG (hilarious, fun and 60 sec long)

anyWhooo

after you "do this' -> (have all other notes -Maj- "ready to voice")
start messing around (same speed etc) with 'filling-out' that neutered 1+5 thang using various voicings below the 5th )or the Octave if ya go (1-5-Octave)
min7, 7, min, maj7, 4, 9th,etc etc etc
it will REALLY help you playing.

i don't deal in absolutes ... okay i do ... occasionally, lol

one of those absolutes :

'there are limitless ways to limit yourself and your playing'

in other words grab the wheel instead of the map and take the gravel road.(you'll meet many two fingered "shredders"(God i loath that term) along the way; wave to them as you pass ;~)

RAWK!
Cs

**(major usually--and definitely for beginners)
frisa  
25 Jul 2009 02:46 | Quote

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.