Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Stamina and fast alt. picking.

Technique
Nutter166  
23 Apr 2009 12:20 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
Help wanted! xD Hello guys.
Well I just got into a band as a rhythem guitarist and I'm alright overall but need to work on my fast alt.picking wells palmuting, any tips for that?
Also how an I build up the stamnia in my picking hand, I can play the first part of a song upto speed but afterawhile my hand just slows down and can't keep the speed..mostly with the palm-muted verse (I currently down pick it all).

Thanks guys,
Jordan.
Guitarslinger124  
23 Apr 2009 12:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Start out by slowly alternate picking the low string and slowly speed up. that is the best way to speed your alternate picking up. you just gotta do it over and over and over again. also, drink lots of water. water contains oxygen and keeps you hydrated which helps with muscle endurance. and stretch before you play!!!
BodomBeachTerror  
23 Apr 2009 12:42 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
3 words
Master
of
Puppets
Guitarslinger124  
23 Apr 2009 12:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
I disagree enormously. but my opinion is biased because i really dont like metallica all that much.
toastninja  
23 Apr 2009 12:44 | Quote
United States
Wow i was going to ask the same thing later because oddly enough i just got into a band as well and their songs include alot of altrenate picking.
BodomBeachTerror  
23 Apr 2009 13:10 | Quote
Canada
ok obviously thats not all you need to do, your advice was good, but the song is mostly fast down picking, so its good practice
macandkanga  
23 Apr 2009 13:39 | Quote
United States
Practice, practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice!

I can't say it enough. I'm 45 and I've been playing since I'm 13 and I'm still having problems with this! Why? I did'nt practice enough when I was younger. I'm trying to unlearn the bad habit of economy picking and learn "strict" alternate picking. It's hard but it's starting to work. Sometimes out of frustration I regress and economy pick so my brain to my fingers are'nt communicating properly and I'm playing worse than I ever have! I know I'll get through it if I just keep practicing.
Nutter166  
23 Apr 2009 13:48 | Quote
Wales
I can play MoP's down picking no problem it's the palm-muting down picking which kills my stamina (why I wanted the endurance help, I don't drink much water...I should start would help with my muscle gaining as well) the alt.picking was more as a general because I tend to down pick when I should alt.pick simply because I can do it at the right speed and it's easier.

@Mac: Very important advice that, I play everyday, constantly work on my technique, practice is a big part of my playing, why I get told I can out play most people in my area and I'm one of the newer guitarists on the circut.

Thank you for the help everyone =]
BodomBeachTerror  
23 Apr 2009 14:13 | Quote
Canada
i often prefer just down picking when playing rhythm, but thats me. but yeah just practice and you'll get it
Nutter166  
23 Apr 2009 16:04 | Quote
Wales
I prefer downpicking myself for everything xD I naurally alt pick my own stuff when it's needed like, will keep practicing =]

Will like getting weights and working on my wrist/forearm muscles help?
blackholesun  
23 Apr 2009 18:18 | Quote
United Kingdom
To be honest, I can't do palm muted down/alt picking amazingly fast to start with, so I don't really have a problem with stamina!

As for building muscle, I've worked in a gym for years, I can give you loads of tips. Give me a PM if you want, same goes for everyone.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.