Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

sweeping again

Technique
BodomBeachTerror  
2 Mar 2009 18:42 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
k i know theres tons of threads about sweeping out there but i dont feel like digging

ive noticed when i sweep, that the downstrokes feel more like picking, no matter how slow i go. is this just from the movement or am i doing it wrong.
if a video of my sweeping would help ill record one
macandkanga  
2 Mar 2009 18:48 | Quote
United States
I'm with you BBT. I have been trying to sweep pick forever and I just can't do it! There are tons of lessons and videos out there but none really give you EXACT instruction how to do it right.

I know of course that you sweep arpeggios but what is the sequence of downstrokes and upstrokes?

Can someone out there put up a useable lesson? I appologize in advance if one is here somewhere.
BodomBeachTerror  
2 Mar 2009 19:01 | Quote
Canada
i can upstroke fairly well, just downstrokes feel like downpicks
Meister23  
2 Mar 2009 19:06 | Quote
United States
what you have to do is imagine your picking hand as a steady speed, not a pick at all more just a glide over the strings. Then start out with playing three stringed chords trying to get that "glide" down, when you can do that do it with lifting your fingers off the strings when your pick plucks the string, after doing that all at an incredibly slow speed and building up, start slow again but instead of fretting a chord play each individual string. Its just a lot of practice and you just have to imagine gliding instead of picking if you get that.
BodomBeachTerror  
24 Mar 2009 23:07 | Quote
Canada
should i use my arm more and keep it floating above the guitar or keep the meat of my hand on the bridge and move my wrist?
Empirism  
25 Mar 2009 00:20 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Hey, how I could sweep pick if I dont use pick at all? xD, lol.. anyway... I found this video very helpful and clears things out, also I watched many videos of sweep picking lessons and many of them they tell me one common mistake that people do, is that they try to "pick" strings instead of "pushing" or "gliding" like Meister said. I think synchronizing your hands is the main thing that needs practise, from slow to fast and takes time... keep goin m8.

Check this out

Cheers!
Empirism
shredguitar17  
25 Mar 2009 03:52 | Quote
United States
Glad you asked bodombeachplayer, if the above advice doesn't help much (it should as it is great advice) look at my lesson on sweep picking. If your too lazy(like I tend to be often!) than try gripping the pick very light, and do it at an angle and kind in a semi-circle. Its hard to explain but you will get it better once you look at my lesson.

Hope it helps fellow shredder!
Empirism  
25 Mar 2009 12:55 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Darn it! inspired by shredding and trying Guitarslinger lesson I found it!!... I always wondered why playing fast or sweep picking and thing is so hard for me... Its my darn fingerings!! My problem is that this habit of wrong fingering is quite deep in me lol... well, maybe im just up for blues then xD....
BodomBeachTerror  
25 Mar 2009 13:23 | Quote
Canada
after watching that vid i would say i got the technique right, just need more patience and time =D

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.