Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
you should try figuring it out yourself
HeavyGuitar  
5 Feb 2009 19:36 | Quote
Norway
Licks: 2
I have tried...Bm is minor so i thought its in he key of B minor, but G is major!...sooo?

And the 2nd i Don't know
HeavyGuitar  
5 Feb 2009 19:48 | Quote
Norway
Help me!
Guitarslinger124  
5 Feb 2009 19:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
dude you could do so many things with those progressions. it all depends on how you want it to sound...for your E5-G5-A5-F#5 you could play E Aeolian with a sharped 6th (C#) to fit that F#5.
RelaxedDude  
5 Feb 2009 19:58 | Quote
United States
The first one is in G dude

You really should figure it out for yourself

Just take the notes which comprise the chords and then use them to find the key
BodomBeachTerror  
5 Feb 2009 20:11 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
or you can defy theory and just play what sounds good to YOU!
HeavyGuitar  
5 Feb 2009 20:13 | Quote
Norway
Someone said that if a progression fit's in a scale..lets say E Aeolian it doesent nesesearly tells me the key:S...confusing!
RA  
5 Feb 2009 20:28 | Quote
United States
key and scale are to different things. this progression could have 8 different keys if you tried hard enough. power chords are ambiguous all as long it is not diminished your fine. the possibilities are almost endless(well they are technically endless but using 12 tone equal temperament[what western music is based off of] there not but the number would be staggering needless to say)

Key = the tonal center of a peace of music kind of like the vanishing points of painting(just like it there can be more then one) sometimes disguised with minor or major. but this is kind of misleading because ever since the "church modes" became the basic standard music is no longer JUST minor or major.

Scales = a series of notes in some short of formula[just needs to be reason for the madness even if you don't know it]the formula is generally thirds in westerner music[as a side note the main point of all of the "five proper 7 note diatonic scales in 12 tone equal temperament" is they have to be derived from thirds].

can't defy theory that's like defying god it is his sounds just humans might not be able to define it with there stupid theories
Taylor  
5 Feb 2009 20:35 | Quote
United States
RA is right, you could have a tone of possible keys. The possibilities are endless. Your tonal center is probably most lenient to D major throughout the two progressions. But I encourage you to practice the circle of fifths, it helps you write music and helps you find keys of progressions your unsure of.
HeavyGuitar  
5 Feb 2009 21:40 | Quote
Norway
i dont understand the circle of fifths.
The modes are:
Ionian
Dorian
Phyrigian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian..right?

But when i pressed the circle of fifth button the modes where:
Lydian
Ionian
Mixolydian
Dorian
Aeolian
Phyrigian
locrian....thats confusing!
RA  
5 Feb 2009 22:07 | Quote
United States
you make me laugh in a good way. i quite admaire your lust for knowledge

remember the intervals i was talking about. well the circle of fifths is a circle of notes going clockwise, generally starting at c, in 5th intervals. F's 5th is C. C's 5th is G. G's 5th is D. and so on. this circle can be used for many many things way to many for me to tell you in a day never mind over a forum.

however modes have to go(logically speaking of course and to make it easier) in numerical order. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 so to put it in C
C,D,E,F,G,A,B
so it goes:
C ionian
D dorian
E phryigain
F lydain
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian
HeavyGuitar  
6 Feb 2009 05:57 | Quote
Norway
hehe, i wanna learn this *** so bad manXD Think i am starting to learn the modes...i think!

So if i am in B major:
B ionian
C# Dorian
D# Phyrigian
E Lydian
F# Mixolydian
G# Aeolian
A# Locrian

Right?
Still don't undetstand the circle of fifths, but i'll get there:)
Afro_Raven  
6 Feb 2009 06:22 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
First is Bm, second is Em.

You need to try out some other keys sometime dude, there's another 22 of them!

Afro
JustJeff  
6 Feb 2009 08:22 | Quote
United States
You don't have to try them all out.

I've been doing a bit of composing recently for a jam group that I am playing with, and I find it much easier to write in a key I'm familiar with, get it sounding decent, than transpose to another key, and add any more little touch-ups.

Makes life a lot easier :-P

Of course I still experiment with alternate tunings in different keys. The beauty of having an old guitar is the fact that you can tune down the low e to a Bb or a C, and not have to worry about neck tension :-P

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.