Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

funny scale thing

Music Theory
guitarmastergod  
11 Jan 2009 21:42 | Quote
Canada
i came across this wierd sounding scale on the internet today and though it sounded quite cool, the site didnt say the name of it so i went to the reverse scale section here and put it in. but nothing came up, it said it was a gypsy lick on the site that i found it on though.

the notes of the scale are F#-G#-A-C-D-D#

from what i have come across it fits into the F# whole-half scale

so is it a scale?
JazzMaverick  
12 Jan 2009 11:10 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
If anything, it closely relates to the Japanese scale, but using accidentals. From my own knowledge, I would agree and say it's a lick and not a scale.

To those who read this and don't know what a lick is, it's a small planned out melody you play within your solos giving your improvisation more life and definition.
RA  
12 Jan 2009 11:32 | Quote
United States
i know what they say about amusing but; by gypsy i am amusing you mean flamenco and if you are they most always play in Phrygian Major (Phrygain dominant is the same thing, the name just depends on how you look at things) so it should if into a harmonic minor scale but alas i am a complete novice a Flamenco at best so i can't help explain how it works especially without more info. but as jazz said it is most definitively a lick. try playing it over flamenco progression like a simple V, bVI {but that is if I'm amusing right}
Afro_Raven  
12 Jan 2009 12:48 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
@ RA
I think you mean 'assuming', not 'amusing' - the two mean very different things!

Afro
RA  
12 Jan 2009 18:57 | Quote
United States
yeah i am retarded at spelling it take an incredibly long time for me to type things and spell check **s with you (see above) Dyslexia kicks my ass it runs in my family my brother was unable to read until the 6th grade and still has trouble reading the most simplistic things(he is in 8th). I'm not as bad but school tryed to fix my problems (i have major issues with USA public schools) by putting me into reading class as a result i can read and understand things incurably well in advance level but because my brain can't figure out how to spell and get things out in general (i have very bad punctuation) they label me as retard it wasn't until you start taking major test in high school they took me out of there stupid programs (to get more money form the state is why that kept me) because i was scoring higher then AP students. i'm sorry for the rant and i'm glad you help correct me Afro just brought up bad things sorry.

for example i must of spent 10 min trying to find out how to spell the opposite of literate and couldn't because spell check had no idea what i was talking about

but on the plus side the whole ordeal drove me to music

@ edit- i don't sound sound slow. the tone of the rant sounds like thats what i mean. it's just if you ask me to say certain syllables i can't so i avoid them you wouldn't be able to tell until i said something with no grammatical structure at all. "store dog the went sure did he"
Afro_Raven  
13 Jan 2009 12:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
No worries dude, the only way to address problems like these are to face them head-on instead of trying to ignore their existence.

Peace,
Afro

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.