Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Doubts about self-learning technique

Technique
bio  
19 Oct 2008 20:31 | Quote
Portugal
i'm really sorry if this topic is not as relevant or important as i think it is but, i have encountered various divergent matters about my technique recently and i don't know what to think... i had two different teachers with some BIG differences. Like:

1. one says that i shouldn't move my hand along with the rhythm, i must hear it in my head and only move when i need. the other says "always move";

2. one says i should rest the lower part of the palm of my hand on the guitar when i play, so i have a refference point and can be more accurate. the other says "never touch the guitar unless you have to (palm mute and stuff)";

3. one says i can make chords like this on the electric guitar

e|-|1|-|-|-|
B|-|-|-|3|-|
G|-|-|-|3|-|
D|-|-|-|3|-|
A|-|1|-|-|-|
E|-|-|-|-|-|

the other says: "always like this:"

e|-|1|-|-|-|
B|-|-|-|4|-|
G|-|-|-|3|-|
D|-|-|-|2|-|
A|-|1|-|-|-|
E|-|-|-|-|-|

For bass technique (this is not about teachers, never had one that played bass):

4. i always rest my thumb in the pickup, is that correct? someone said that i should rest it in the previous string than the string i am picking at the moment to mute it (my vocabulary is a mess) but i use only 2 fingers to play and the other 2 to (eventually) mute the strings

5. i use only index and middle finger to pick the strings when using slap technique (and thumb to slap), but somebody told me i should use all 4 fingers insted of just one at a time... is that correct? why?

ending by apologizing too, because of so many questions and for the bad english :p
BodomBeachTerror  
19 Oct 2008 20:39 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
different guitar players play differently, i recomend playing the way thats most comfortable for you. ive never played finger bass so i wouldnt know
RA  
19 Oct 2008 20:51 | Quote
United States
it's best not to use "anchors" while playing be it your pinky finger, palm, ect. it gives you a better attack not to. As to play the major "a" grip the best tech. to play it would be to use the three fingers and not to bar with the ring finger.
BodomBeachTerror  
19 Oct 2008 21:04 | Quote
Canada
i almost always hook my pinkie, unless if tremoloing or doing rhythm
RA  
19 Oct 2008 21:07 | Quote
United States
yeah it is a hard habit to kick (i know) but it is a very bad tech really limits your movement and attack
JoeDalton  
20 Oct 2008 00:54 | Quote
Im going to guess the one that says to keep moving and dont touch the strings is the same teacher. Follow that guys advice, the other one is a horrible guitar player.

As far as the chords go, it's not important, if you can play it with a small barre and have every not ring out propperly by all means, most people however can't, and play sloppy chords because of it.
BodomBeachTerror  
20 Oct 2008 01:02 | Quote
Canada
if i dont hook my pinkie my picking gets sloppy usually
JazzMaverick  
20 Oct 2008 03:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I agree with Joe on that one. I can't understand what the other guitarist was thinking when he told you to always put your hand on the guitar.

I also agree with Bodom; play what you're most comfortable with. It's your life! Do what YOU want to do with it. Though advice is always nice.
bio  
20 Oct 2008 07:44 | Quote
Portugal
JoeDalton: actually the one who says 'dont touch the guitar' is the one who says 'you dont need to always be moving to the rhythm'..

so i guess i know better than them.. my technique is perfect xD (kidding - my technique is good actually but my playing sucks)

i know you must play what you feel most comfortable with, but there are certain rules.. if you ALWAYS play what u feel most comfortable there would be lots of ppl only picking and strumming down, and making only powerchords because the other ones are pretty difficult at the beginning :\

thanks for the answers btw :)

isn't there any bassists around here?
6StringEvil  
20 Oct 2008 08:58 | Quote
India
^^^that's what I was wondering also... bassists answer the call..
JazzMaverick  
20 Oct 2008 09:17 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
TheAmericanBrit is a basist. We call him Skold around here.
macandkanga  
20 Oct 2008 12:40 | Quote
United States
It's all a matter of preference. There are guitarist that play only with their feet. Some play with the guitar in their lap. Some play with the guitar very high and some very low. Left handed people who play right handed. Some lefties play right handed guitars with the strings upside down! They say never to use your thumb to fret the top string. Hendrix did it all the time! I can go on and on.
BodomBeachTerror  
20 Oct 2008 14:18 | Quote
Canada
bio says:
i know you must play what you feel most comfortable with, but there are certain rules.. if you ALWAYS play what u feel most comfortable there would be lots of ppl only picking and strumming down, and making only powerchords because the other ones are pretty difficult at the beginning :\

rephrase what i said.. whatever is comfortable and effective

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.