Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Haiku??

General Chat
JPBeausoleil  
8 Jul 2008 19:59 | Quote
United States
Anyone like to write or read Haiku?? I love it here are some of mine. Add your own if you'd like. I'd love to hear it.

"For You Doris"

Lights beyond heaven
Moon crossed the sun patiently
Wakes planets elsewhere

Or maybe...

Rainfall on your face
A sparrow hopping through it
Leaving wet footprints

Copyright2004JPBeausoleil

"Haiku Blossoms"

Magnolia Tree
My heart blossoms like you do
Your roots hold me through

Magnolia tree
I'm entwined in your branches
Spring is near for us

Copyright2003JPBeausoleil
GRX40  
8 Jul 2008 20:49 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
One time I wrote some haikus while I was listening to jazz music and meditating. I was feeling kind of high on life that day.

I do think that they are rather cool, though. I might try writing some and setting them to music. 8-/
les_paul  
8 Jul 2008 20:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
Not to change the subject but how do you go about getting a copyright for something?
JPBeausoleil  
8 Jul 2008 20:53 | Quote
United States
whistlebug23  
9 Jul 2008 11:08 | Quote
United States
For the Devil sends the beast (with wrath)
Because time is short

can't go on, understanding is too big for haiku...
crislyn23_nt  
12 Jul 2008 19:06 | Quote
United States
man, those haikus speak to me !!! hehehe, their prety cool and deep,
BodomBeachTerror  
12 Jul 2008 19:54 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Haiku's are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
ThePusher  
13 Jul 2008 23:53 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 3
I think they made us do Haiku's for a unit in school once, it was the only part of any course I failed that year
JPBeausoleil  
14 Jul 2008 22:54 | Quote
United States
Then there is American Haiku, its not exactly like the Japanese
Haiku. The Japanese Haiku is strictly
seventeen syllables but since the language
structure is different I don't think American
Haikus (short three-line poems) should worry
about syllables because American speech is
something again...bursting to pop.

Above all, a Haiku must be very simple and free
of all poetic trickery and make a little picture
and yet be as airy and graceful as a Vivaldi
Pastorella.

Early morning yellow flowers,
thinking about
the drunkards of Mexico.

No telegram today
only more leaves
fell.

Nightfall,
boy smashing dandelions
with a stick.

Holding up my
purring cat to the moon
I sighed.

Drunk as a hoot owl,
writing letters
by thunderstorm.

Empty baseball field
a robin
hops along the bench.

All day long
wearing a hat
that wasn't on my head.

Crossing the football field
coming home from work -
the lonely businessman.

After the shower
among the drenched roses
the bird thrashing in the bath.

Snap your finger
stop the world -
rain falls harder.

Nightfall,
too dark to read the page
too cold.

Following each other
my cats stop
when it thunders.

Wash hung out
by moonlight
Friday night in May.

The bottoms of my shoes
are clean
from walking in the rain.

Glow worm
sleeping on this flower -
your light's on.
Doz  
14 Jul 2008 23:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
To express oneself
in seventeen syllables
is very diffic

I wish I wrote that.
JPBeausoleil  
14 Jul 2008 23:14 | Quote
United States
I have many favorites but this one seems to speak to me the most out of every Haiku I have ever read. Its in American style.

Missing a kick
at the icebox door
It closed anyway.

Pager  
21 Jul 2008 08:39 | Quote
Australia
Early morning yellow flowers,
thinking about
the drunkards of Mexico.

No telegram today
only more leaves
fell.

Nightfall,
boy smashing dandelions
with a stick.

Holding up my
purring cat to the moon
I sighed.

Drunk as a hoot owl,
writing letters
by thunderstorm.

Empty baseball field
a robin
hops along the bench.

All day long
wearing a hat
that wasn't on my head.

Crossing the football field
coming home from work -
the lonely businessman.

After the shower
among the drenched roses
the bird thrashing in the bath.

Snap your finger
stop the world -
rain falls harder.

Nightfall,
too dark to read the page
too cold.

Following each other
my cats stop
when it thunders.

Wash hung out
by moonlight
Friday night in May.

The bottoms of my shoes
are clean
from walking in the rain.

Glow worm
sleeping on this flower -
your light's on.

like wtf is up wif dat american haiku its jus so RANDOM, like the moonlight and friday night in may wtf is dat
and de one about the robin on the baseball field bench its like huh...
deres a guy i noe whose random like thath goes round calling people stoopid fings like shaved koala or ingrown pubic hairlmao
its so funni like dat haiku

AND NO OFFENCE TO JPB
Planter  
22 Jul 2008 04:16 | Quote
British Indian Ocean Territory
your haiku has 2 have meaning, and it is not just any 5,7,5 poem, it must have a relation to nature in some way. I am a Japanese advocate, yes i know what im on about, ty.
Pager  
22 Jul 2008 04:18 | Quote
Australia
BAHAHAHAHAHAH planter...thats wat im saying above it has no meaning jus random words lol :D
JPBeausoleil  
22 Jul 2008 15:36 | Quote
United States
@ Pager: The above Haiku is certainly not just random words put together, each verse paints a perfect mental picture to me. Its all about paraprhasing a singular moment in time without the use of poetic trickery. Typically a moment in the natural world, and to capture that moment in such a way as to render an insight, or epiphany. Which is what any Haiku is all about. Unfortunatley something so simple is also easily misinterpreted. Finding meaning behind haiku can be difficult, sometimes it will take weeks for me to figure out or mentally see what the author is trying to say. Thats the beauty of it. It makes you think. But when you finally get it its like magic. You have to go into it with an extremely open mind.
Empirism  
22 Jul 2008 16:26 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
@planter

Yes, but are they also expressions and emotions. I thought that Haiku's was Poetry of nature before 17th century, but later on turned more to life through communion with nature.

Ofcoure when obeying the orginal meaning of something or what something is made for will easily reject any alterations on it. Anyway since our western culture is so different from eastern and especially different than eastern before 17th century, its hard to judge alterations, because they were changed to almost new wave. I think alterations was kept name "Haiku" just for honour or esteem orginal.
Pager  
23 Jul 2008 09:41 | Quote
Australia
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...

@JPB, read planters message i think she wuld noe (i noe her) shes like obsessed wif japan hahahahaha.

plus haiku isnt ALL about painting a mental picture, that is a bi-product of it the main purpose is to be about nature but also deliver a messagelike a metaphor. or it can relay emotions. a robin hoping across a bench doesnt relay any emotions to me...WTF is with that wash hing out in moonlight friday night in may....wats that relaying that the person is so dumb that they hang their clothes out at night, and their so particular and strict that they do it on certain days of every month??? hehe i wrote a haiku

J P likes haiku
but most of them have no sense
robins on field bench

na but sorry jpb umm it jus doesnt relay emotions 2 me if u culd explain id listen...or read :D
JPBeausoleil  
23 Jul 2008 11:46 | Quote
United States
@ Pager: Like I said Haiku makes you think, and you obviously are not capable of this. You got to be open minded.
Empirism  
23 Jul 2008 16:23 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
they dun seem to get it easily do they JP? :)... So... let's talk about it.

At first, It doesnt mean Pager, That if you cant understand the meaning or they do not rely any emotions to you that they are senseless, it will mean something to someone or rely emotions to someone and you should respect them rather than mock them. Its the path that is hidden from you. Hopefully you find it someday.

What comes to haiku then..lets think....

actually 5,7,5 poem is not haiku because Renku (連句), is the japanese form of popular collaborative linked verse poetry formerly known as haikai no renga (俳諧の連歌), is an offshoot of the older Japanese poetic tradition of ushin renga, or orthodox collaborative linked verse.

At renga gatherings participating poets would take turns providing alternating verses of 5-7-5 syllables and 7-7 syllables. Initially haikai no renga distinguished itself through vulgarity and coarseness of wit, before growing into a legitimate artistic tradition, and eventually giving birth to the haiku form of Japanese poetry.

Second point that I wish get on the table is that it is not need to have relation of nature, but they usually or should I say originally used to be "SEASONS" where haiku's or renka's were set.

If we look at next poem written by Yamazaki Sokan (1464-1552).

there been question:

The garment of mist
Is damp at the hems.

and he responded

The Goddess Sao
now that the spring has come,
pisses while still standing.

there are no relation in his response to nature, but to season.

To the Renga then...

The earliest renga recorded is in the Man'yōshū, where Otomo no Yakamochi and a Buddhist nun (尼,) made and exchanged poems with sound unit counts ("on") of 5-7-5 and 7-7. Around the time the Shin Kokin Wakashū was published, the renga form of poetry was finally established as a distinct style.

This original renga style, hyakuin renga (百韻連歌, "100-stanza linked poem), used only utakotoba, used sound unit counts of 5-7-5 and 7-7, and finished with two lines of 7 sound units each. At this time, poets considered the use of utakotoba as the essence of creating a perfect waka and considered the use of any other words to be a deviation.

The first stanza of the renga chain, the hokku (発句,), is the forebear of the modern haiku. The stand-alone hokku was renamed haiku in the Meiji period by the great Japanese poet and critic Masaoka Shiki. Shiki proposed haiku as an abbreviation of the phrase "haikai no ku" meaning a verse of haikai.

Im sure that if we read many those poems before even Haiku was born, there be an poems that do not rely any emotions or have "no sense" to me and many many others, but it...surprise...dont mean that there are no meaning inside them.

:resources
Blyth, R. H. A History of Haiku. Vol. 1, From the Beginnings up to Issa
Wikipedia.
http://renku.home.att.net/500ESWd.html
and many minor sources as well.

Im sorry for very long post, but I thought I had to...again :)

With respect
Empirism
jcb3000  
23 Jul 2008 16:35 | Quote
United Kingdom
i really find that going into these with an open mind really makes you think. i used to write some in english lessons when i was in deep thought. i used to like using rather uncommon words you dont hear every day.

Tiny grain of sand
Like a pebble to a path
Through the times in life

i wrote this one a couple weeks back when thinking about life and how all insignificant moments in life add upto bigger things to come.
Pager  
23 Jul 2008 22:48 | Quote
Australia
JPB i didnt insult u, dumass, i insulted the haikus u posted :D, AND i said, if u CAN explain dose poems den go ahead, coz i dnt fink many ppl can see the meaning behind them...shakespeare's sonnets r much better :D, so are random rhyming words :D.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.