Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Growling/Screaming ...

Music and Bands
GuitarBoy666  
4 Jun 2008 15:46 | Quote
Canada
I think this is in the right place...

Anyways.

I am starting to listen a lot of new stuff, like Metalcore and I noticed that they always do this growling and screaming type of thing. It doesn't sound like death metal growls but it sounds really aggressive and I was wondering,
Can someone here teach me how to do it? Or like tell me how?

Me and some friends might be making a band soon and I am lead guitar but it would be cool if I could scream a few songs out for the band.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Skold  
4 Jun 2008 15:47 | Quote
United States
Don't shit for a month, then start singing and shitting at the same time............ARRRRG! GRAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Jun 2008 15:49 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
k well first thing, DO NOT GROWL WITH YOUR THROAT! it can bleed if u do it wrong =D

not really sure how to explain it, i just woke up one morning and found i could =p. pop helps, like coke or mountain dew, chocolate is also good. dry throat is bad.
Veqq  
4 Jun 2008 15:49 | Quote
United States
Licks: 5
If it's anything like death metal vocals (in how you do it) get a vocal teacher. It's not as much learning how to do it as doing it without destroying your vocal chords...
Nutter166  
4 Jun 2008 15:56 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
Do it with spit in the back of your mouth, best way todo it without so much damage. I started doing that when I first started, main thing is keep your throat moist, don't let it dry out when growling does alot of damage.

Might try to get some recordings of me doing a few diffrent things growls and such if you want, can't right now got a cold so I can't even sing without running out of breath or hurting my throat.

My only problem is lack of confidence, by myself I can do it loud and for along period of time but around people I go really quiet and can't seem to find that volume I have by myself.
Doz  
4 Jun 2008 15:56 | Quote
United Kingdom
Best thing is to get a teacher to help you sing powerfully and then follow DVD methods or intructions because it requires a lot of projection.

BBT was right, don't make the rough sounds with your throat, because it'll do damage eventually. You have to push hard from your chest for the most part.. but there are different styles of singing in metalcore.
league  
4 Jun 2008 15:59 | Quote
United States
This Band I auditioned for was metalcore and I thought the singer was pretty good. Check em out http://www.myspace.com/wbhgivetake looks like they found a rhythm guitarist and booked a gig. Bastards!!! They lived too far and our styles were way too different. I told them I could play their music .I couldnt get their breakdowns and I played complex rhythm that just wasnt their style.:D
GuitarBoy666  
4 Jun 2008 16:03 | Quote
Canada
Where do you growl from if not your throat? That is the thing that makes you speak, after all. aha.

Someone told me to suck in my whole gut while doing it.

I will def. look for a vocal teacher in the summer though, or go on youtube and see what's there too.

Sucks that you couldn't get the spot, that band is cool
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Jun 2008 16:04 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
make it come from ur voicebox, which is in ur chest =p
league  
4 Jun 2008 16:09 | Quote
United States
Some people that growl just sound awful. I heard a band the other day on the radio and that guy sounded like a puss. BTW anyone heard of ARSIS? THey play amazing guitar but they are very Satanic.
Doz  
4 Jun 2008 16:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
Power comes from the diaphragm, which is actually at the bottom of the rib cage. The air comes from the lungs, which is what you're pushing when you make noises.
Nutter166  
4 Jun 2008 16:55 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
Pretty much if you want to have a strong voice work on posture, start off with your feet below your shoulders, stand straight, head up arms relaxed nto pushed forward or back.
Then work on your breathing wells doing it focus on breathing without moving the shoulds so only your stomach/chest (which is due to you diaphram moving) move, then work on keeping it like that wells talking..projects the voice more.

Drama came in handy quiet a bit, I don't have stage fright in a sense I can go out and play my guitar infront of people I just doubt myself badly, it also helped me alot of voice projection and how to do certain things without damaging the throat including growling/screaming (Yay for playing some psycho mad old guy hahha)

So if you want some help on it maybe ask someone you know how has something to do with Drama? Like a school Drama teacher.
GuitarBoy666  
4 Jun 2008 17:07 | Quote
Canada
Well I will practice like that then next time a song that I know the words to comes on. aha.

I don't think I really have stage fright but I don't know for sure.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.