Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Need an upgrade -.-

Instruments and Gear
Nutter166  
4 Apr 2008 14:00 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
Hello there everybody,
Well I've been playing straight for 1yr 4months of the 1st of April, and decided I want to up my guitar.

I play a lot of thrash/heavy/dark/metal metal and quite a bit of clean stuff (Pink Floyd influenced -.-), so i'm thinking of getting a
B.C Rich Mockingbird ST, £379

I will have about £300 for my birthday in October and my parents will loan me the rest of the price, do you think this is a good choice of guitar for what I play?

As well as maybe modifying my Squire Stratocaster with a longer neck and some heavier frequency pick-ups as I use it to play bass, a lot, it there any tips you could give me for modifying my Strat to be more like a bass (I don't wish to buy a bass or buy a more expensive guitar to modify)
Notim  
4 Apr 2008 15:23 | Quote
United States
Good question nutter ,BC Rich is a Metal type guitar to me but honestly if you like, them all the power to ya bro,I never owned one
but the Mocking bird is a really good looking guitar!
Skold  
4 Apr 2008 15:30 | Quote
United States
Well, BC Rich is more of a guitar for Metal players, but I think I've seen members of The Who play them, so...

If I were you, I'd get something a little more versatile.
mattmurray  
5 Apr 2008 02:01 | Quote
United States
DONT GET A BC RICH!!!!!! For god's sake don't get one, unless it is one of their upper level models like the Kerry King models w/EMG's and khaler bridges, that are around 1000$. Their mid level guitars are outstandingly lousy for the price. Of course, if you play one, and find it comfortable to play, and like the sound then completely ignore me. But make sure you play something before you buy it.
Skold  
5 Apr 2008 02:19 | Quote
United States
@matt

I have a feeling that you've had a really bad experience with one, correct?
league  
5 Apr 2008 02:23 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
True what mattmurray said. If you intend on playing thrash and Metal, try Jackson or ESP maybe Ibanez. Or a used charvel. Remember versatility=Stratocaster. BC Rich is a gamble but if you intend on buying one anyways buy it with a fixed bridge.l decided to edit because I saw how much money you had. How many dollars is that? If you're low on cash go with the safe choice Jackson or Ibanez.
mattmurray  
5 Apr 2008 02:26 | Quote
United States
The schecter hellraiser line is cheap, nice looking, and loaded with EMG's...but I am partial to them because I own one...

And @ skold...Not necessarily a bad experience, they are in constant rotation at my local mr. money and I have played alot of them, and been severely disappointed haha... And I don't want anyone to spend more money than they need to! But it's really a matter of opinion.
Nutter166  
5 Apr 2008 04:55 | Quote
Wales
-.- I'm not completely numbty with guitars, I'll make sure to go round my local dealers to try out guitars there. I thought of the mockingbird as it seems to have good stuff for the price on paper, but yes I will go round and try some first.
£1=$2~
so by October I'll have bout $600 give or take a few.

Maybe give my a few different ESPs and Jacksons to try out in the price range of £300/$600? I've tried the Ibanez and I do like them but there just so commonplace around my area (Hell I'm the only person in my school with a friggin Fender model guitar even if it's a knock of Squire).

What do you guys thinking about my modding the Strat idea once I have anew guitar?.
Doz  
5 Apr 2008 13:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
I'm not into the lower priced BC Richs myself. I'm not into the wacky designs either. I'd say try a few other metal guitar brands out like Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, Shecter etc.
mattmurray  
5 Apr 2008 13:40 | Quote
United States
You might also want to look into getting a guitar with a fixed bridge, rather than the floating, floyd rose style bridges.
league  
5 Apr 2008 19:22 | Quote
United States
I dont think modding a Squire is a good idea (bad neck quality and volume/tone knobs) . You could get a really cheap Fender or Charvel and mod that out(some dont need any mods). I own a Squire Strat myself and had the same idea but I figured it was too expensive. Its like tuning a KIA or Geo to 300hp.
Nutter166  
5 Apr 2008 19:25 | Quote
Wales
The reason I want to use my Squire is I've now broken it in and got it comfortable to play as a bass guitar.

Any links to Jacksons to check out? (I like jacksons to be honest, but nothing beats an Explorer shaped body)
Doz  
5 Apr 2008 21:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
A cheap bass will get you a better bass sound. However, thicker guage strings, using the neck pickup, EQing your amp to cut treble and middle with a boost in bass... also maybe a pitch shifter pedal.
Still, I don't think it's a great idea.
league  
6 Apr 2008 22:18 | Quote
United States
I have a Jackson kelly thats basically the shape of an explorer. www.Jacksonguitars.com I have to admit that the best sounding Jackson is a Rhoads and not Michael Jackson.LOL
goodtunes  
7 Apr 2008 19:35 | Quote
United States
i have a jackson kelly 7 string that i "stole" from a pawn shop. its a got a real nice tone to it in my opinion, even though i dont play it much because the extra string throws me off.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.