Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Can you practice to much ?

Technique
les_paul  
16 Feb 2008 16:44 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
The guy that sold me my guitar told me not to over do it. But when I start messing with my guitar it's hard to put it down
GuitarBoy666  
16 Feb 2008 17:32 | Quote
Canada
You can NEVER, EVER, practice too much.
After all, practice makes perfect.

But, you have to know WHAT to practice...
blackholesun  
16 Feb 2008 19:36 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
Sometimes if I get stuck in a rut or have trouble trying to play something, I'll take a few days out of playing and when I come back to it, I'll be approaching from a slightly different place in my mind.
GuitarBoy666  
16 Feb 2008 20:13 | Quote
Canada
^^^ Yeah me too, like, I guess it gives your mind a chance to kind of relax and restore. it allows more creativity to come to you and you can play many things right then and there.
KicknGuitar  
17 Feb 2008 02:42 | Quote
Lessons: 6
It's because the guy that sold it to you, knows you're going to be better than him, so he wants the process to slow down so he can get a little more time on his own fame.

In other words, he's just BSing you.
Unless he had issues with his wife because of that... then that's a whole other story...
GuitarBoy666  
17 Feb 2008 11:12 | Quote
Canada
That's kinda stupid. We are going to be better than him anyways :P
tAUG  
17 Feb 2008 12:50 | Quote
Sweden
GuitarBoy666 says:
You can NEVER, EVER, practice too much.
After all, practice makes perfect.

But, you have to know WHAT to practice...

'Course you can ;) If you play tooooo much, you could eventually end up dislike playing.. I've got a drumming friend who did that, went to a music school and played like 23/7. When he graduated he stopped drumming cause it wasnt fun anymore, and started playing guitar.
(@les paul, you should'nt worry about that, I mean you can easily play 5h/day ;) )

tAUG
brodyxhollow  
18 Feb 2008 18:24 | Quote
United States
i think in a way you can, but i think its a matter of what your practicing over how much you practice. i mean if you hit the same string a thousand times over, your going to be really good at hitting that string; but not much else.
DAconfusedZED  
19 Feb 2008 13:03 | Quote
United States
music is an amazing thing that science can only attempt to explain; so understanding the science of it and practicing is good and if you keep at it you will eventually learn everything it has to tell you. The music, or guitar in this case, will never get old. So if you do "over do it" and dislike it, then you have you have to remember why we enjoy music: the wonderful feelings it causes within us. never let guitar have a negative connotation but not playing something cathartic or soothing to the soul.
EMB5490  
19 Feb 2008 13:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
the only way u can ever practice 2 much is if ur fingers r starting 2 bleed
Notim  
19 Feb 2008 16:32 | Quote
United States
I dont think practicing alot is a problem at all ..shit play as much as you can...once you miss a day you can never get it back(that I know of).
WickedBeast  
19 Feb 2008 17:29 | Quote
United States
He might of been talking about, since your a beginner "I think" Your wrist and fingers might not be used to the movement. Thus cause pain due to this new movement. Which may make you not want to play. Just remember to stretch your fingers and wrist before playing, and warm up. That way you don't end up straining yourself.
luckyhubbie  
21 Feb 2008 21:41 | Quote
United States
When the power company cuts off the lights...you've practiced TOO MUCH.
tAUG  
3 Mar 2008 06:34 | Quote
Sweden
luckyhubbie says:
When the power company cuts off the lights...you've practiced TOO MUCH.

No, just exactly enough ;)
aterrell  
9 May 2008 15:01 | Quote
United States
I'm pretty new to the guitar, but I've been playing for four months all day everday I can, lest work pull me from it. I could just strum random chords all day.
brodyxhollow  
9 May 2008 17:06 | Quote
United States
I think I finally did it too much. I've just become disillusioned with it lately. It's kind of a bummer.
BodomBeachTerror  
27 May 2008 20:27 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
lol @ EMB5490

WickedBeast says:
He might of been talking about, since your a beginner "I think" Your wrist and fingers might not be used to the movement. Thus cause pain due to this new movement. Which may make you not want to play. Just remember to stretch your fingers and wrist before playing, and warm up. That way you don't end up straining yourself.

thats probly wut he meant

what i do to keep myself from getting bored is watch LOTS of different guitarist on youtube, like whenever im on the computer i always have a youtube video going, so i get inspiration all day long =p
Astion  
15 Jun 2008 11:49 | Quote
South Africa
When your attention starts to wander, you start going off beat and your enunciation suffers. If you make a habit of this, it will hard to get rid of it.

My rule of thumb: Practice for about twenty minutes. If my attention starts to wander in the slightest, I put down the guitar and take a five minute break. Rinse and repeat.
foogered  
15 Jun 2008 12:49 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 11
There's such a thing as practicing too much the wrong way, heheh.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.