Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Two questions. Rake & sweep picking

General Chat
simon73  
11 Jan 2008 18:44 | Quote
Lessons: 8
just a couple of questions

Herd someone mentioning rake? I thought it was used in the garden not on my guitar. How do I carry out this?

Sweeping now am I right in saying that you play arpeggio say for example G major arpeggio and pick each note downward and the last note on the up stroke.

If you have posted a lesson on sweeping can you please give me a link so I can understand how to do them. Just that I have never used this technique and would be another arsenal in my guitar playing.

Many thanks

Simon
Guitarslinger124  
11 Jan 2008 19:53 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
That was me i believe. raking is a technique i picked up from watching a joe satriani video. it's pretty much a cheat sweep. it is exactly as it sounds. you rake your pick across the strings very much like sweeping except that you really dig in to get a chunky sound. i use to it to add flavor to my power chords like so:

E:---------------------
B:---------------------
G:---------------------
D:-5-----5-------5----5
A:-5-----5------5-----5
D:-5-5-5-5-5-5-5--5-5-5

there is only a subtle difference between raking and sweeping but, excuse the oxymoron, the subtlety is huge.
blackholesun  
11 Jan 2008 20:57 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
Raking is where you "sweep" across muted strings before playing a note.

E ----12~----|
B ---x-------|
G --x--------|
D -x---------|
A -----------|
E -----------|
simon73  
12 Jan 2008 06:30 | Quote
Lessons: 8
Thanks you both for your help. I have started some rakes and wow they are chunky even when I messing around with some blues. Cheers
Doz  
12 Jan 2008 11:38 | Quote
United Kingdom
blackholesun got it, but just to add - they're muted with your finger (not palm muted).

Sweeping is usually playing arpeggios with one note per string with one downward motion (but only letting one note ring at a time). It's optional to have two notes on the first and last string you play. Then you could choose to sweep back up.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.