Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Scales

Music Theory
chcrush27  
6 Jan 2008 13:14 | Quote
United States
I decided to learn a large number of scales around 144 are their some scales that I need to know for rock, metal, jazz, and blues that way I can narrow the number down a bit.
Guitarslinger124  
6 Jan 2008 14:44 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
here are some of the more common scales found in those genres:
natural minor(metal, jazz)
blues minor (blues, metal, jazz)
harmonic minor (metal, jazz)
melodic minor (jazz, metal, blues)
major (jazz)
whole tone (jazz, metal)
bebop (blues)
chcrush27  
6 Jan 2008 15:50 | Quote
United States
So Learn All the Keys and should I learn the whole fretboard or are there like different sectons to learn
chcrush27  
6 Jan 2008 19:38 | Quote
United States
Do a lot of solos come out of the wholetone scales, just by looking at the complex structure and the sound. It would seem that you would make a solo out of that structure
Guitarslinger124  
6 Jan 2008 23:18 | Quote
United States
chcrush27 says:
So Learn All the Keys and should I learn the whole fretboard or are there like different sectons to learn

you should really learn all the notes on the fretboard before you do anything. after that, i would learn every major scale. then, all 7 modes of each major scale. once you've accomplished this, you will have also, unknowingly, learned every natural minor scale. this will take quite some time so settle down and dont lose sleep over it hehe. you arent going to learn all that overnight. but ill get you started...here are the names of the 7 scales in a major key.

Major/Ionian -first mode
Dorian -second mode
Mixolydian -third mode
Lydian -fourth mode
Phrygian -fifth mode
Aeolian/minor-sixth mode
Locrian -seventh mode

just a hint: you can see the aeolian scale is also the minor scale. the sixth mode of any major key, is that major key's relative minor. for example: A minor is the relative minor to C major and therefore A Aeolian is the sixth mode/scale in the key of C major. A quick way to find relative minors, is to count three half steps back from the major root.
Guitarslinger124  
6 Jan 2008 23:31 | Quote
United States
chcrush27 says:
Do a lot of solos come out of the wholetone scales, just by looking at the complex structure and the sound. It would seem that you would make a solo out of that structure

The whole tone scale is simply made of whole steps. and the really cool thing is that in some keys, the notes in the scale do not change for example: in the key of A the notes are: A B C# D# F G. but check out the notes in the key of G: G A C# D# F. they are the same! lets check out a few more...in the key of F: F G A C# D#. (again they are the same!) ok lets try something different, lets do it in the key of C: C D E# F# G# A#. so is C a weird one? nope! here are the notes in the key of D: D E# F# G# A# C.

my point is that this scale can be slightly ambiguous and therefore misleading. but if you apply it right, it can add a sweet texture to a song. but to answer your question; the whole tone scale is not really complex at all, and is fairly uncommon outside a Jazz/progressive environment.
chcrush27  
7 Jan 2008 00:43 | Quote
United States
Thank You I was talking to my dad about that tonight and understood the same thing and finally he was able to talk to me about this stuff because he took a break from his business.
Guitarslinger124  
7 Jan 2008 00:58 | Quote
United States
glad i could help.
chcrush27  
7 Jan 2008 22:10 | Quote
United States

you know how you said to memorize the fretboard well I have but I see the note in my head but the name doesn't come right away... I know I should just say the names as I play the fretboard but I just thought that was kinda weird.
Guitarslinger124  
2 Feb 2009 11:20 | Quote
United States
i wouldnt worry too much about being able to say the notes AS you play them, you should focus more on simply knowing the scales, chords and keys AS you play.
JazzMaverick  
2 Feb 2009 11:43 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
GS! Major error in your list of modes!!!

Major - first
Dorian- second
Phrygian - third
Lydian - fourth
Mixolydian - fifth
Aeolian (Minor) - sixth
Locrian - seventh

Everyone makes mistakes, but hopefully you haven't thought of it like that for too long! It might be a little difficult to get it out of your head!

To look in more detail on these modes, you should check out my lesson; Major Scale and Modes Within.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=104

Mixolydian is a terrific mode for us Jazz players. But then it's down to what you want to play.

I'm pleased you're looking into all of this... but you need to take your time. In my personal opinion, I think you're rushing ahead. You need to learn one scale along with the modes, and study them THOROUGHLY! It should take a long time to properly study them.

To put it clearly; you'll fail if you rush ahead. So take your sweet time! :)

I also think it is really important you do say the notes as you play them, otherwise it'll be really difficult to learn the notes later. Along with knowing the chords, scales, etc. But this will come to you in time, don't try and think of all of these all at once otherwise it'll be an overload and you'll be mentally exhausted a lot quicker than you should be.
Guitarslinger124  
2 Feb 2009 12:32 | Quote
United States
crap my bad, good catch, i remember when i was first learing modes i got those two confused. still do sometime, obviously, guess i should lay off the drinks when im responding to someone hehe. but then again, thats what you moderators are for :)
Taylor  
3 Feb 2009 15:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
when your learning all this modes, I think it's easiest to learn starting from the major scale. learn the scales through the circle of keys, thats the easiest way to do it because every next key is only a sharp or flat away. practing these modes with chord progressions is one of the easiest ways to learn them too. btw, guitar slinger, DON'T DRINK AND POST! lol
Afro_Raven  
3 Feb 2009 19:49 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
So there's this cool guy on this site called Afro Raven, you might have heard of him? Anyway he wrote this lesson a while ago called 'Modes and how to use them' on this site, you should check it out!
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=6

Afro

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.