Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

i'm back baby -- VOX amp question

Instruments and Gear
gx1327  
20 Jan 2013 13:17 | Quote
United States
long story. i posted here a lot when i had a boring desk job, then i got a new job working in a lab and i was on my feet, doing wet chemistry all day. then i got laid off hahaha. so now i've got free time back.

ANYWAY, as soon as i get a new job i'm going to buy a new amp. i'm actually playing in a band now! woo. that's progress for me, i've only been playing for ~5 years.

so anyway i was playing with a VOX AC15 at guitar center the other day and i really liked it, i really liked the way it sounded. now the AC15 (and i believe the AC30 as well) has TWO guitar inputs. one for "normal" gain and one for "high gain".

i would like an amp that has its own distorted, high-gain sound (as opposed to using some kind of pedal). i'm not against using a pedal, but i would like to get a amp that has a nice distorted sound.

okay marshall amps (typically) have on-demand switching between two channels. but the VOX amp requires you to switch inputs to switch channels.

is that just something you have to live with with the VOX amp? i really liked the AC15, but i didn't have a lot of time to play with many other amps and i'm also interested in checking out marshalls or even fenders (which i know also offer on-demand channel switching).

could you use a channel-switching pedal (which i've seen) to just switch the feed from your guitar to two different outputs?

long winded question aside, just wondering if anyone else plays through a VOX or similar amp that has two different inputs, and how you get instant switching between clean and distorted sounds.
J.R.M.30  
21 Jan 2013 15:33 | Quote
Basically, it's the channel switching pedal, which I'm not familiar with, v.s. a boost pedal or overdrive/distortion pedal. Different pedals react differently with different amps and guitars so you might want to keep an open mind in regards to the AC-15, in my mind is a better recording amp/small gig amp as opposed to the AC-30. Wattage is sometimes overrated as too little will make the sound crackle or fizzle, while too much can be well too much. Hope this is helpful!
Guitarslinger124  
21 Jan 2013 15:46 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
You can definitely do some soldering to make it so. Just wire two separate inputs to your clean and dirty. Next you can wrap the wiring and draw the cables out to an A-B switch. Or just use a stand alone A-B switch.
carlsnow  
22 Jan 2013 05:28 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
>Guitar -> A/B Box -> Amp

A = Clean - B = OD

oh how i loooove Vox !!!!

RAWK!
Cs
gx1327  
30 Jan 2013 03:07 | Quote
United States
i was figuring you could just set it up with an A/B switch, but i'm not sure why soldering would be necessary? don't they just sell A/B switches with 1/4" inputs?

i know it's possible i was just curious if that's something that people do. and it sounds like it is.
carlsnow  
30 Jan 2013 07:27 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
gx1327 says:
don't they just sell A/B switches with 1/4" inputs

Every day bro .. every day.

try M-Friend etc...they are abundant and from 25bucks to 2zillin bucks soo

RAWK!
Cs

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.