hamad  
5 Oct 2012 05:32 | Quote
Bahrain

need some help here ..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 OCTAVE
c major scale C . . D . . E . . F . . G . . A . . B . . C

so it will be maj . min . min . maj . maj . min . dim

but i found out in some songs they use Amin . Gmaj . Fmaj . Emaj

my question : how the E chord at the end become major ??
thatguitarguy  
5 Oct 2012 10:02 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
music theory is pretty much the guidelines for music but they are not set rules. basically you learn the rules you will break in your own music.
RA  
5 Oct 2012 17:07 | Quote
United States
rough one word definitions..

theory = why
Law = what

ergo music theory is logic that attempts to explain why music works in our crazed minds (we like patterns basically); remember music before theory, no chicken egg nonsense.

Not rules!!! not guidelines!!!, I find hippy dippy crap like that irritating and repulsive. Not a shot at you personally, I just can't stand modern pseudo-intellectualism, which is perversely planted in our heads.

now as to the op...

just cause a song is keyed in C doesn't mean the whole thing follows Ionian, doesn't mean more then one scale is not being used, doesn't mean idea for other scale are being superimposed.

E for example can proceed A as secondary dominate. Now you wrote E major which to me (my head thinks in jazz) is major 7, but I'm Assuming your new, so you mean the triad. E7 follows A in the perfect Candace derived from Ionian. The A chord here being minor suggest Harmonic minor. So the perfect Candace is being superimposed to bring a resolution back to A ergo your progression is keys in A. This is just a guess however, as I'm assuming a lot, but it may help get your head thinking.
JazzMaverick  
5 Oct 2012 18:25 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Hamad, these are great questions you're asking - and make sure to keep asking these questions. With time, the more you play, the more things will start to make sense. Emaj could be the passing chord to the next chord, or it might not even be the Cmaj scale that's being used. If you look at the scales section on this site you can look from a number of different scales with an Amin and try to test your knowledge this way. (however, if the major scale DOES play over this song then you're probably right) I think it might be a great idea to jump into the pool of pondering and try to do more self-study on these things. What do you think?

RA, I understand what you're saying, but for a beginner in major scales, I don't think what you've said is going to make much sense for them. (Maybe) Anyway...

"Learn the rules, then break them" - Charlie Parker.

It's not hippy dippy crap. You're entitled to your own opinion but it's worked and been understood for absolute generations.

If people can't realise that music is what you hear - then I should hope they'll learn it eventually, but simple phrases like that work, and they work well.
Empirism  
5 Oct 2012 18:46 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
But if you do a song from your "heart" or "soul" or "head" or "some other dippy crap things"... you do song without rules or guidelines, even thou... what if the final outcome still fit to theories and correct rules and everything above my understanding, but is not planned?...lucky shot i guess... but what i really meant to say is...

that technically, if you want "break" the rules, you want forexample to take chord progression and on purpose use scale to melody that just not fit to that progression like all the theories and rules and everything say... doh well... you can do it, but it sound crap. Believe me, all those are tried so you actually dont break anything...

I always hear or "see" (:D) guitarslinger sayin' what sounds good, sounds good. and thats it. Its truth, that noone can beat.

-Emp
hamad  
6 Oct 2012 04:25 | Quote
Bahrain

jazz mavrick .. sure i will do that
goldtop  
7 Oct 2012 05:00 | Quote
United States
Sounds like it would be "dominant" Phrygian; however, judging that your from Bahrain it's hard to say.
hamad  
8 Oct 2012 07:19 | Quote
Bahrain
yeah .. i know what you mean ... i have to figure this out
goldtop  
8 Oct 2012 19:20 | Quote
United States
FiniteZer0  
9 Oct 2012 22:50 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
I'd be interested to know what song you are looking at. Right now, the progression you laid out does not seem major but rather minor. The harmonic phrase is this: i VI VII V, and the return to i is implied in the next phrase.

Another clue that the progression is minor is the appearance of the G# rather than the G natural, which is evidenced in the V chord (E-G#-B).
hamad  
2 Nov 2012 08:40 | Quote
Bahrain
ok ... listen to this song .. i will try to explain

this is the song just copy this in a new window ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8blw7n9LtDU

you begin at 1:06 after solo Am .. Dm .. Am .. F .. G .. F .. G .. Am .. Dm .. Am .. F .. G .. F .. G .. repeat all at 1:34

at 2:00 solo after solo at 2:33 C ..F .. G .. Am .. E .. F .. G .. Am .. C ..F .. G .. Am .. E .. F .. G .. Am here you will be at 3:04 the rest of the song will be the same

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.