Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Metal vs Glam

Music and Bands
MoshZilla1016  
4 Oct 2010 16:09 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
I've noticed a lot of the people ages 13-25 like the old metal of the 80's. My question is this" What do you think of the Glam bands?" (Poison, Ratt,...) We, the metal heads I grew up with, HATED Glam. We copied Dave Mustaine and called it G*y LA Metal. Let me hear your views!!
macandkanga  
4 Oct 2010 16:56 | Quote
United States
Metal was more dark and underground in the 70's and you were considered a stoner if you had long hair, wore a Zep T-shirt and jeans. Then metal got popular in the 80's. That's when everybody started making their hair big and wearing make-up, basically dressing up like women! And the sound was more melodic and more about partying and chicks. A lot of L.A. bands came out of nowhere with this same look and sound. As a guy with long hair and wearing t-shirts and jeans, I wasnt too happy about it. Even Ozzy, Judas Priest, KISS and others started with the big hair and pop metal songs. Thank God for Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax who kept to their roots, for the most part.

Funny thing is in the 90's, Grunge took over the look and attitude of 70's metal but not so much the sound.
MoshZilla1016  
4 Oct 2010 17:03 | Quote
United States
Kinda hard to believe Pantera was glam at first!!
Ozzfan486  
4 Oct 2010 19:28 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I think at that age kids just hear something their dad has on the radio and get that "What is THAT?!" moment. I had an early start on that at like 9 because my dad was into all kinds of rock n' roll. It's a cool thing to see the rock kids anymore. Most of the people I go to school with, I hear them talking to the chicks about how catchy the new Katy Perry song is.

I can dig some Kesha though....just sayin'. xD

Ozz
Empirism  
5 Oct 2010 00:10 | Quote
Finland
Mosh, Check out the history of Hanoi Rocks. Thats the Glam.

Well... Just check out its history :)

Btw, this Festival is from my hometown :), sure I was there :P

Cheers!
Empirism

Oh, thou english version of wiki is a little small, this I found there to save a time a little

"Hanoi Rocks' influence can be seen in various bands, including Guns N' Roses, and their glam look has been used by many bands, including Poison, L.A. Guns and Ratt. Other bands like Manic Street Preachers, Murderdolls and the Foo Fighters have admitted being Hanoi Rocks fans.[7][8][9] Alice in Chains also often played Hanoi Rocks' "Taxi Driver" live in their early days.[10] Other Finnish rock groups that were influenced by Hanoi Rocks include The 69 Eyes (with whom McCoy has also worked with) and Negative. In Finland Hanoi Rocks is known as the Finnish rock band who, at their time, had come closest to real international fame, only much later giving way to such groups as HIM, Nightwish, Stratovarius, and Children of Bodom.

Hanoi Rocks also brought the glam rock look of the 70s back into style. In 2003, when Nasty Suicide was asked about the bands look, he said that he and Michael Monroe decided to keep the punk leather jackets but bring a kind of "transvestite vibe to it".

Even thogh Hanoi Rocks influenced many 80's glam band's, some feel that these bands ripped-off Hanoi Rocks. In 2008 Joe Elliott, frontman of the English hard rock band Def Leppard, described his dislike of 80s glam metal bands bands like Mötley Crüe and Poison"

MoshZilla1016  
5 Oct 2010 16:19 | Quote
United States
Thanks Emp. I never listened to Hanoi Rocks but I think I could handle that. They're glam but not feminine. That's the part I could not take. When I saw the cover of look what the cat dragged in (Poison) something inside just said "this ain't right". Even though some of the guitar parts were pretty cool I was turned off by the attitude. It's like the feminine side went overboard.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.