Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to play scales up the neck?

Music Theory
Rackers1  
19 May 2010 23:10 | Quote
like any major scale. how do i know which notes to hit when i start from say the lowest octave and move up octaves?
Guitarslinger124  
20 May 2010 02:41 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
I think, unless I miss-read your question, you should be working on memorizing the notes on the fret board and perhaps some basic scale patterns such as the Pentatonic or Ionian. Check out some of the awesome lessons on the site.

Rock on!
Afro_Raven  
20 May 2010 08:46 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
Try learning all the modal positions in order on 3 notes per string, then link them all together.

Afro
carlsnow  
20 May 2010 10:32 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Rackers1 says:
like any major scale. how do i know which notes to hit when i start from say the lowest octave and move up octaves?

try this method; its simple, effective and my students swear by it.

Though you begin at the lowest fretted note, you will skip its "mirror"(the 'other' E-string)to negate the repetition when moving from mode to mode.

HOWEVER when practicing each mode, 'alone', play all six strings.

it sounds complicated but once you practice this a bit you'll find its hidden treasures and thus, know your fretboard much better, tonally, due to the aforementioned *lack of repitition
*(referring to the fact that the LAST (high e) notes in Ionian (etc) are the first notes in Dorian (the next mode) and so on.

here is a link to the lesson.

Scaling Up
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=216

hope this helps :)

RAWK!
Cs

PS
another good and proven 'modal tool' is the learned ability to play Ionian-ETC (any mode/scale) from the 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and yes, 1st strings. (keeping Octaves in mind ...) no need to move from the fret you start on as the key here is 'pattern recognition' in overlooked 'starting positions on the neck

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.