Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Question on Pick Guard Plastic

Beginners
btimm  
8 Feb 2010 09:32 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
So I never noticed until the other day that there is a layer of thin plastic, like for protection or something, on my pick guard. I know it is not a good idea to take off all 6 strigns at once, so does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this off of the pick guard?
case211  
8 Feb 2010 09:58 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
if it is a strat style guitar(not superstrat like RG, etc.) then the pick guard will be all one piece and can be taken off after removing all the strings.
btimm  
8 Feb 2010 11:19 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I don't want to take the pick guard off, I want to take the covering off of it. It has a clear plastic wrapper on it. I couldn't even tell it was there initially until it started peeling near one edge. I am wondering if there is an easy way to take the wrapper off without taking the strings off first. Do all guitars have this cover on the pick guard?
case211  
8 Feb 2010 11:51 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
I'd say just peel it off(sorry I misunderstood the question!) maybe loosen the strings and if you need to, put your fingers between them and peel it off.
Phip  
8 Feb 2010 12:13 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
btimm, That is probably just the clear plastic protective sheet put on to protect the pick guard from scratching during shipping or when on display. I just bought a new guitar and the pick guard had the sheet on it too. I didn't feel like removing the guard or the strings so i just peeled it out of there like a man possessed by the devil :) (prob a few pieces still stuck under various screws but i'll get rid of that when I DO have to remove the guard or strings in the future) it really doesn't bother me. Anyway, about removing all six strings at once; that's not a problem for a short thing like this. It's not like you are going to have the strings off for a month or something like that, so it's ok (future knowledge for ya) to go ahead and remove all six strings if you feel that you must. The neck can't warp in the short period of time you'll have them off. However, my guess is that you can unscrew the guard and slide it out to remove the plastic sheet. You said you don't want to remove the guard but i'd find that easier than removing the strings personally.
You're call,
Phip

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.