Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Barre Chords

Beginners
btimm  
25 Jan 2010 11:18 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
I have learned a fair amount and have practiced a lot with open chords like A, C, D, E, and G and minro chords like Am and Em. Seems a lot of songs have use of those chords. But lately I have been wanting to play some Dinosaur Jr. songs that use a lot of barre chords. I know that practice obviously helps a ton, I have noticed my fingerings for the open chords is getting better and transitions are getting smoother, so I know the obvious answer to this question is to just practice. However, are there any other finger exercises or anything I can do to help with barre chords? My hand doesn't want to cooperate with me. Thanks!
BodomBeachTerror  
25 Jan 2010 11:45 | Quote
Canada
take all your fingers off the fingerboard, then place your fingers on the strings in the correct position as fast as you can, pluck the strings one by one to see if theyre ringing, if some arent sounding shift your fingers a bit to try to get it. then try again while trying to get your fingers the way they were when all the strings were ringing.
EMB5490  
25 Jan 2010 12:18 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
hey im curious how long your been playing?

bar chords take a bit to get. try to do it really slowly, first get ur first finger to bar it, the put each finger in the appropiate spot. start with an outside bar chord lets say g. major. just practice putting your hand in that position, leave it like that for 5 minutes, itll come

HOWEVER, the most IMPORTANT part is thumb position. you gotta get you thumb, move it outta the way, get it outta there, slide it over. get it so its cofortable, but cant be in the way, shove it off to the side.
btimm  
25 Jan 2010 12:46 | Quote
United States
EMB5490, I have been playing for maybe about 1.5-2 months. My thumb atm isn't an issue because in order to get my clumsy fingers in place and not mute strings, I need to have my thumb on the back of the guitar neck. But that is not too comfortable, lol.
EMB5490  
25 Jan 2010 13:08 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
well first of all your not gona get it immediatly. so dont worry about muting anything. just get the shape of it and your fingers used to it first. so just put your fingers in that shape and keep them there.

your thumb though should be half way down the back of the neck and pointing towards the headstock for your sack try moving your elbow down which in turn will move your thumb down which will allow you to reach easier.
gx1327  
25 Jan 2010 19:37 | Quote
United States
i know it has been and will be repeated, but time really helps. the 5-finger barre chords (discussed in your other thread) are also a little trick to get because you will be laying your ring finger across three strings (3, 4, 5), but avoiding accidentally muting the 2nd or 6th string. practice makes competent. i recently learned how to play blue traveller's "hook" which jumps from 6-string barre major chords to 5-string barre major and minor chords, every once in a while is low it down and strum each string individually just to do a quick check and make sure i'm not accidentally muting something that shouldn't be.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.