Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to use a floyd rose

Instruments and Gear
Musical_Magic  
2 Jan 2010 19:40 | Quote
United States
As im staring at my guitar, The floyd rose on the guitar to be exact...I thought "How do i use this?" And, Im sure it would be a nice thing to have, My guitar is an RG5EX1L (The L being for lefty) And the question is

What do the knobs on the back do?

What do the knobs where the strings stick out do?

How do i replace a string? Is it like a normal tremolo?

I mean, I've loved how it sounded compared to my les paul bridge...Tone wise

Thanks -M&M
Domigan_Lefty  
2 Jan 2010 21:14 | Quote
United States
Knobs on back = fine tuners
Behind string: Holds them, below string: Not sure, but all bridges have a type of this system. (3 back, 3 front)
To replace string, loosen knob behing string, stick ball end in (minus the ball? havent had to yet) tighten. If bridge is "off", you can fix on back (the springs)

Lol, i had a les paul before my RG5EX1L too
case211  
3 Jan 2010 11:50 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
you probably need to cut the ball end off, unless it was designed to house that as well(still probably not).

also, just go one string at a time, if it is floating and you take all of them off it is the biggest pain to do.

I shun Floyd's because of the intonation since changing strings isn't bad, but setting them up is the biggest problem that I have.
Domigan_Lefty  
3 Jan 2010 13:15 | Quote
United States
This should explain most if not everything about it
http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=69978
Notim  
3 Jan 2010 15:41 | Quote
United States
To restring a Floyd. Losin the first 2 locking nuts(E.A) replace those 2 strings.tune then tightin. And so on, you don't take all the the strings off and replace them as you would with a normal bridge. If you do it like the way I said using the same gauge strings, their will be no problems. say you go from 9's 2 8's.. whole diffrent situation, then you have to adjust your height( 2 hex nuts on the base of the bridge) and also the springs in the guitar( floating brige) Because of the thickness and the action change.....If I can help PM me....
espltd18201  
9 Mar 2010 02:36 | Quote
United States
You may need to adjust your bridge by tightening or losening the springs in the back of the guitar. usually the guitars come with an extra spring that you use for higher guaged strings.
Domigan_Lefty  
9 Mar 2010 04:55 | Quote
United States
@espltd 18201

Most retarded thing on Ibanez's part, You cant add a 4th spring. Theres only 3 slots. I took a screw out of the spring lock and used that. NOT a good idea, BUT, it has lasted so far... One day the bridge is gonna *pop* out of nowhere

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.