Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to figure out how scales work ?

Music Theory
Rufio310  
20 Jul 2009 15:42 | Quote
The scales i use most is harmonic minor and diminished but i dont get how it works kind of. Like why does the fingering change when its in a different mode? how to figure out what key your playing in? etc etc
JazzMaverick  
20 Jul 2009 16:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
A mode is just a different position of a scale, in this case, harmonic minor and diminished. Diminished has three positions, Harmonic minor has 7.

Diminished Scales:

-E♭ diminished (F♯/G♭, A, C diminished): E♭, F, F♯, G♯, A, B, C, D, E♭
-D diminished (F, A♭, B diminished): D, E, F, G, A♭, B♭, B, C♯, D
-D♭ diminished (E, G, B♭ diminished): D♭, E♭, E, F♯, G, A, B♭, C, D♭

Most people only know of two positions for the Diminished scale, "whole-half-etc." and "half-while-etc." Hopefully this makes sense.

Harmonic Minor Scale and Modes:

C Harmonic Minor : C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C
D Locrian #6: D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C-D
Eb Harmonic Major: Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C-D-Eb
F Spanish Phrygian: F-G-Ab-B-C-D-Eb-F
G Double Harmonic Major: G-Ab-B-C-D-Eb-F-G
Ab Lydian b3: Ab-B-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab
B Diminished : B-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B

No offense, but what on earth were you doing for six years? I'd start counting years when you start to properly focusing on the instrument instead of the first day you got it. Because if you're not picking it up during that time, then you haven't really been playing for that long. (If you get me)
carlsnow  
22 Jul 2009 14:27 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
@Rufio310
i agree w/ Jazzy ..give it time

oh, and @Jazzy ...
JazzMaverick says:
A mode is just a different position of a scale, in this case, harmonic minor and diminished. Diminished has three positions, Harmonic minor has 7.

...and to make matters "worse" you can 'diminish'(make diminished) just about any scale .. and dont get me started on 'leading' 7th's lol and all that ;~)

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.