Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

basic soloing question

Music Theory
gage  
14 Apr 2009 16:20 | Quote
I have a question about soloing. Im sure you've all heard this one before.
I've asked people in the past "how do you know what notes to play over a chord progression" and the answer is always "learn your scales" okay so know i have a basic understanding of scales and can play some better then others.
so know my question is how do i know what scale to play over a chord progression? for example the person i'm playing with is playing Am G C. what scale do i play and how to i know what one to play based on the chords being played.

Thanks for the help
JustJeff  
14 Apr 2009 16:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
You'll play the C major scale, or if you want the perfect answer, A aeolian.

Most chord progressions start with the key they are in. In this case you start with an A minor chord, therefore you are in A minor. This is confirmed by your other 2 chords, G major and C major.
JazzMaverick  
14 Apr 2009 20:18 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
And from this point; "learn the key signatures"

Once you know the key signatures off by heart, you'll know what scale to play.

Music is a never ending book; there's always more to learn.
Pager  
15 Apr 2009 05:28 | Quote
Australia

It helped me put together a nice solo for my band's new song :D
JazzMaverick  
15 Apr 2009 10:33 | Quote
United Kingdom
Glad it helped! :D
Heather  
15 Apr 2009 13:44 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 2
Yeah look at Jazz's mode lesson. It is a very helpful one and will be worth your while. Jazz seems to know everything!
gage  
17 Apr 2009 10:48 | Quote
@ JazzMaverick when you say learn the keys. does that mean that what ever key the song is in you can play just play the major scale for that key. if the song is in the key of E you play E major, key of B you play B major scale?
JazzMaverick  
18 Apr 2009 18:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
Nah, once you know all the keys everything will make sense, and from that exact point you'll know if you're playing major, minor or any other scale. Music is a wondrous world and it'll always surprise you.

I wrote a lesson on the keys, but Bodom wrote one which is easier to understand for beginners. Perhaps both will help you out.

When you check out my lesson on modes, I also recommend you check out Afro's lesson, it's written brilliantly and everyone seems to have benefited from them.

But like I say to everyone; TAKE YOUR TIME!! Music takes years to understand, and it'll get you no where if you try to cram all the theory into your head all at once. Once you learn something new, apply it pratically and then it'll always stay with you :)
gage  
19 Apr 2009 10:14 | Quote
wow, great lessons. (jazz, bodom, afro) i've gotten more from this site then any music lesson. I think i'm starting to understand a little more. so just let me recap what i think i know and you can correct me where i'm wrong.
I think i have a basic understanding of the keys. say if the chord porgression goes Am G C then it's in the key of G. The key of G has one sharp F# The modes i can play over this chord progression are G ionian, A dorian, B phyrgian and so on...
Do i have to play the mode over the corresponding chord in the progression. eg A dorian over the Am chord or could i play E aeolian over the whole progression?
sorry for all the questions. i'm sure you guys have repeated this all many times. i'm just a little excited that i'm actually figuring out some music therory.
the reason i'm asking all this is that i'v met a bass player and drumer that are looking for someone to jam with. i can play rythem alright but never really learned to lead.
they jam in the key of E and G a lot and im just trying to figure out what i can play so i don't just stand there like a tool. haha. thanks again for the info.

gage

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.