Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Harmonic minor

Technique
keithmark13  
3 Apr 2009 17:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
I'm working on learning the harmonic minor modes extensively now, and i'd like to know the chords that go with each mode. Help would be appreciated.
blackholesun  
3 Apr 2009 18:24 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
Check out this lesson by JazzMaverick. I don't know where she got the b5 on the III though, or the #5 on the V. Shouldn't the VI be a maj7 chord, and the VII be a dim7?

I think it should be:

I m7
II m7b5
III maj7#5
IV m7
V 7
VI maj7
VII dim7
JazzMaverick  
4 Apr 2009 11:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
No it can't be that way, the harmonic minor has no connection to the major scale at all. The VI is a m7b5 because it's similar to the locrian mode. and the VII is similar to the mixolydian scale, that's why the chord is a dom.

Anyway, I'll do a more detailed lesson on this, because just listing one chord for each mode isn't really explaining why these are the chords that should be used.
blackholesun  
4 Apr 2009 13:08 | Quote
United Kingdom
I didn't use the major scale, I used the harmonic minor scale to see what the intervals are and then translated that to a chord.

Using the C harmonic minor scale (C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, B), the chord on the VI (Ab) contains Ab, C, Eb and G, which forms an Abmaj7 chord. Likewise, the chord on the VII (B) is formed from B, D, F and Ab, which forms a Bdim7 chord. That was my train of thought anyway.
RA  
4 Apr 2009 14:18 | Quote
United States
yeah Black's right with the exception that the "I" is a minor/major 7th

and i wouldn't say that the harmonic minor has no connection to the major scale(by major scale I'm assuming you mean the diatonic major scale or as that Justin guy, who has that web site most go to, says PMS) because it was developed out of the aeolian mode. that and VI in my notes is called Lydian #2 but i guess you could see it that way there nothing saying you can't. but the VII is called the Diminished locrian/ultralocrian there is no discussion there. but i agree just listing one cord really isn't saying anything.

and keith what are you using the harmonic minor for because for each style it is used very differently. For example, like when it was first developed they never used extended chords so that issue being discussed here is mute. they only used it for the perfect Cadence (in minor) hence the "harmonic" part.
blackholesun  
4 Apr 2009 14:33 | Quote
United Kingdom
RA says:
the "I" is a minor/major 7th

Ah yes of course! It's got a major 7th. Thanks.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.