Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Copyright Law changes

Band Promotion
telecrater  
24 Jun 2008 06:54 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Well I wasn't sure where exactly to put this but I came across this information. and about changes in the copy wright law.

To sum it up any company can use your art for their own marketing schemes if they are unable to find the copyright information after a "reasonably diligent search". of course what does a "reasonably diligent search"?

http://www.narip.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=568&Itemid=1

Now I know some of you guys are part of the ipod generation were abouts you don't purchase CD's and may even download music and not pay for it. Being that as it is were all musicians and i would imagine would like to someday be able to sell some of our art.

This to me sounds like company's are going to force you to "sell out" with out having permission.

I always figured i would release my stuff under the creative commons licence. partially because i don't think there will be many major label record company's leftover the next 10 years, just indy labels.

http://creativecommons.org/

So what do you guys/gals think?
GRX40  
24 Jun 2008 09:25 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Wait, so they can just use your stuff if there's no copyright found? Without permission? That sucks!!

And I think the companies are really going to take advantage of a "reasonably diligent search". To them, a diligent search will probably just be sending an intern on Google for 15 minutes, and if they don't find anything, they'll use your stuff.

I should probably use Creative Commons as well, once I start recording and publishing my music.
GuitarBoy666  
24 Jun 2008 09:29 | Quote
Canada
That's bullshit.
They shouldn't be allowed to do that!
It's YOUR artwork so YOU should have the permission whether or not to let others use it.

Downloading music I am fine with though,
By downloading, it allows people to find new bands and hear new stuff, if they like it, they can go out and buy a CD if they wish.
Veqq  
24 Jun 2008 12:15 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 5
There are also going to be multiple copyright companies/groups. So you have to get it with each one too...
EMB5490  
24 Jun 2008 12:25 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
thts tot bs! just another way for the big companies to make more money off other ppls stuff.
GuitarBoy666  
24 Jun 2008 12:42 | Quote
Canada
Wow.
This is gonna suck 10 years from now if I make it big... o.O
BodomBeachTerror  
24 Jun 2008 13:39 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
D=

say i post a song i wrote somewhere, no copyright.. then James Hetfield comes along and hears it (and seeing he cannot write music anymore) can record it, make an awesome single, and make a trillion dollars off it?
GuitarBoy666  
24 Jun 2008 14:21 | Quote
Canada
@BBT;
Knowing him and his crappy lyrics, he would do that. hehe
Empirism  
24 Jun 2008 14:30 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
I dun know sure what Law said, but if you publish your say music in say your site and you sentence on that site, that those materials cant be used without permission, should be enough even theres no how we say valid Copyright on it...

luckily...no problem to me...ill do so crap that nobody wants to use it :D
Skold  
24 Jun 2008 15:59 | Quote
United States
Good thing I title everything I post with my bands name, and our site.
telecrater  
24 Jun 2008 18:40 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I think you guys may have mis-under stood it. but this is what i got form it. Lets say i write this song and i call it "AOL sucks". and let's just say AOL hears about it and want to use it in a commercial or even the voice of "you go mail". under this new law, if they make an "attempt" to find the source of the copyright but are unable to, they could (if the law is passed) use it. I would still think they owe you money but now your good name is tarnished because of it.
GuitarBoy666  
24 Jun 2008 20:36 | Quote
Canada
Lol. AOL Sucks. hehe xD
It makes sense though, what you said, Tele.
And they SHOULD owe you money. It's YOUR song. Why should THEY make money, right?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.