Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

D - E

Technique
BodomBeachTerror  
28 May 2008 16:43 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
does anyone else tune the D string up to an E? it makes it alot easier when playing a heavy riff

so you can do this

e|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
G|--------------------------|
E|-0-1-2--------------------|
A|-0-1-2--------------------|
D|--------------------------|

instead of..

e|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
G|--------------------------|
E|-2-4-5--------------------|
A|-0-1-2--------------------|
D|--------------------------|
blackholesun  
28 May 2008 17:35 | Quote
United Kingdom
They're in the same tuning...

If you were playing a heavy riff then you would generally be using the lowest two strings rather than the 2nd and 3rd strings.
GuitarBoy666  
28 May 2008 18:04 | Quote
Canada
I never tried that. Seems like it would screw up yer sound a bit.
But I tune my E string to Open D, or Drop D. That is a common tuning nowadays, and it does make playing a lot easier, but when you are starting a scale on yer 6th string, you have to play it different and it gets confusing.
Drop D seems to be a controversial tuning, lots of people hate it while lots love it. I do like to play standard 5th power chords though, it depends on the sound I am looking for.

And damn, I just went really off topic there. Haha
BodomBeachTerror  
28 May 2008 20:08 | Quote
Canada
whoops, i messed up lol

yeh it messes up you scales and it sucks for soloing, but if ur playing just some heavy music w/ no solos its gd, like slipknot =p
Doz  
28 May 2008 20:52 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think drop D is a perfectly good tuning GB. If anything it means you have more options whilst you're riffing, however, does anyone else find that playing power chords in drop D with just the one finger... doesn't feel comfortable and tight?
BodomBeachTerror  
28 May 2008 21:06 | Quote
Canada
the only time im not using drop D is when im doing neoclassical stuff
Veqq  
28 May 2008 21:50 | Quote
United States
Licks: 5
I have something aganist drop tuning... not sure why though. I like alternate tunings like some scale or something. But I think instead of droping you should just down tune everything equally.

I used to play D standard but then I went to F standard for some reason... It really clear and nice though!
Guitarslinger124  
29 May 2008 09:55 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
BodomBeachTerror says:

yeh it messes up you scales and it sucks for soloing

I've recently started playing in drop C tuning (low to high: C, G, C, F, A, D). But for the longest time I played in drop D tuning. The dropped tunings, for me, actually make it easier to solo and its like i can switch modes without changing my hand position. plus it opens you up to being able to play all kinds of different chords that would be very difficult to play in E standard tuning.

another cool tuning is to tune your guitar just a half step down.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 May 2008 10:42 | Quote
Canada
actually i use drop C too, or maybe its B... it makes bends a whole lot easier
GuitarBoy666  
29 May 2008 14:36 | Quote
Canada
Doz, I didn't say I don't like Drop D. I love it, it does feel weird if it is like your first time tuning do it though because you're not used to it, but when you get used to it it is really good, and it actually sounds a lot heavier than playing standard E.
Plus when you play something like:

|-3-7-3-7------
|-5-5-5-5------

Last two strings.

Because you can just play the 5th chord with one finger and use yer third finger to get the note on the seventh fret. I don't know what those chords are called but they are used in rock n roll. And I know this is confusing but I hope someone understands what I am trying to say.
Doz  
29 May 2008 18:46 | Quote
United Kingdom
Oooh no, I wasn't accusing you. I was just mentioning that it should be accepted by guitarists because some people have some weird thing against it that doesn't make sense.
GuitarBoy666  
29 May 2008 19:10 | Quote
Canada
Yeah I know that, I was just making sure.
I totally agree, people say like if you play Drop D then "ur a n00b" or like, you're too lazy to play standard, etc. It's so stupid! It's just a tuning! And it is a really wicked tuning imo. You can to h.o's instead of sliding as well.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 May 2008 20:03 | Quote
Canada
yeah dropping is alot easier, lower too.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.