Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Recording problem

General Chat
les_paul  
4 May 2008 22:44 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
I downloaded Audacity to record And I can record one track fine but when I try to record another track over the first one and play them back I get a lot of noise in the second track. Like if I record the chords then a lead part over the chords and try to play them back the chords sound fine but the lead has popping noises and it doesnt stay in time. I know some of you use this program so any help would be appreciated
Skold  
4 May 2008 22:47 | Quote
United States
It's probably the volume. There should be a meter that monitors the dB level. Start playing, and if you don't see it doing anything, click on the little icon below it (should be in the shape of a speaker, or mic).

As for the the timing trouble, you probably have the new beta version. Well, I would just get rid of that version, and get version 2(. whatever number). The beta version you are using has a bad latency problem, and that's what's causing the sync trouble.
Skold  
4 May 2008 22:51 | Quote
United States
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/latest/audacity-win/audacity-win-1.2.6.exe

There's the version you need. Might wanna download some VST plugins (effects and such) from their site, too.
telecrater  
4 May 2008 22:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
i think what you are hearing is digial poping i bet if you look at it more when you record your track is all in the "red" which mean it's exceeding it's "meter". If you did the same thing old school and anlog it would be ok. try turning down the input volume some.
EMB5490  
5 May 2008 16:48 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
i downloaded it and i get squeeking noises...
Phip  
5 May 2008 16:56 | Quote
United States
@EMB
squeeking during record, playback or both. be sure to set the mic level and plaback levels. spend a few seconds strumming and adjusting until it sounds nice.
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:00 | Quote
United States
to emphasize what Skold said. you DON'T want the beta version.
also your computer has mike and output adjustments in "volume control" settings "recording devices" and "playback devices"(prob in the taskbar) just double click and set the levels until it sounds good. don't forget you can use those too.
EMB5490  
5 May 2008 17:12 | Quote
United States
how would i know if i have the beta? i downloaded the 1 tht skold gave..
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:25 | Quote
United States
@EMB
click on "help" then click on "about audacity" it should say 1.2.6
this is the one you want.
EMB5490  
5 May 2008 17:29 | Quote
United States
yep thts the 1 i got...i dont really know how 2 use it...some help guys?
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:34 | Quote
United States
okee dokee.
everythings gonna be just fine, super in fact..
let me open up the program. processing............
the purple circle button is the record button. click on tht and strumm a few chords. then click stop (brown square). now click the play button and listen to what you've played.
the next time you click record it will play the chords you recorded and also record what you are now going to play (a few notes maybe).
click stop, and then click play. you should hear the TWO tracks.
cool huh?
try it, i'll be here for awhile if you have a problem.
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:38 | Quote
United States
oh, i forgot to mention a microphone. set it up close to an acoustic guitar and a bit further away from an electric amp. don't blow the freaking thing across the room! set volume levels if neccessary.
ok, have fun
EMB5490  
5 May 2008 17:41 | Quote
United States
i guess i need to hook my comp up with a mic...any good brands? where can i get one, how much?

btw how can i get it to sound cleaner? take out some parts? separate guitar from other things? or is tht not availible.
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:47 | Quote
United States
lol,
yeah, i mike might help! wait till i get off the floor!....
i don't think you need anything elaborate at first. Les paul just bought one. what did you get LP? is it any good?
i haven't bought one yet but i will be this weekend i think. i personally want one that will work nice for vocals and acuoustic so i'll spend in the mid price range depending on what i see in the store and probably ask some questions while i'm there. i should prob do some internet browsing too. so for the moment you're on your own. i did however (just for experimenting) use the headset mic that i have for voice dictation and it worked crappy but good enough to play around with the program to figure out how it works.
Phip  
5 May 2008 17:54 | Quote
United States
just screwing around here. not recommending this, just poking around the internet to see what's out there. easy payment plans too!!!
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMC01U
Skold  
5 May 2008 23:37 | Quote
United States
Try the Behringer XM5800. Great mic, and isn't costly. Also, you might wanna get a mixer or a workstation to help monitor everything (and to add effects and such)
les_paul  
5 May 2008 23:59 | Quote
United States
lol...I found an old mic in my storage room. Just a regular computer mic kinda old I might add but seems to work fine. I do have another question??? How do I send music that I have recorded on Audacity to someone? Or how would I post it on this site?
Skold  
6 May 2008 00:38 | Quote
United States
Just save it as a wav (or mp3 if you have the extension needed) and upload it to putfile.com, soundclick.com, or myspace.com
les_paul  
6 May 2008 00:41 | Quote
United States
I think I may have got it now, I downloaded something called "lame mp3" or something. I saved one track and now I'm trying to email myself to see if it worked.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.