Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Floyd Rose trem

Suggestions
cagesound  
5 Apr 2008 16:17 | Quote
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone give me a guide to setting up a FR trem correctly? I've used mainly fender trems and even a steinberger trem but never an FR. I know they are a pain in the ass but i've heard that when set properly they a pretty good. cheers
league  
5 Apr 2008 19:01 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Hard to say and very complicated. But Floyd Rose tremolos are the best in my opinion.
Skold  
5 Apr 2008 19:12 | Quote
United States
I would just take the guitar and trem into a shop and let the pro's do it for you. Better to pay for it to be set up than for you to screw it up trying to DIY.
Cata34  
5 Apr 2008 23:09 | Quote
United States
I would just take the guitar and trem into a shop and let the pro's do it for you. Better to pay for it to be set up than for you to screw it up trying to DIY.

^This
mattmurray  
6 Apr 2008 02:39 | Quote
United States
i wouldn't take it into a shop to get it done, because if you do that you will never learn it on your own... if you look on youtube there are loads of detailed videos on how to string and tune floyd roses... i messed with my first one until i got it figured out on my own, now they are easy for me to set up, but if you DO decided to take it to a shop make sure to stick around and watch how they do it so you learn yourself
brodyxhollow  
6 Apr 2008 02:57 | Quote
United States
Everyone says they're a pain in the ass, but now that I've learned how to do it on my own it's so easy......... One of the biggest things is making sure you stretch your strings when you put on new ones. Another thing is you constantly have to adjust the tension screws inside the guitar, without overdoing it.

They say to never take all the strings off and to always leave the nuts on at the top because if you will screw it up. Well, yeah, if you don't know what your doing you can, but it's not a permanent problem. I actually prefer to remove everything at once so I can start with a fresh tension.

Make sure the micro-tuners are about the middle of their range. Pop off the back and you should see two screws holding a little metal plate connected to a few springs. You should have three to four springs for the best tension. It's really all about creating a balance between the strings. The skinnier the string, the more out of whack it will put the lower strings. So usually, you want to put a little more tension on the low E. It's a complicated process, but once you understand it, it becomes a breeze.
cagesound  
6 Apr 2008 03:32 | Quote
United Kingdom
thanks peeps! just another quick ask, i usually stretch my strings by tuning - pulling at 12th fret - retuning and repeating til string stops detuning but i understand that u can over pull the strings so is there a better way?
deefa  
6 Apr 2008 05:44 | Quote
United Kingdom
http://www.floydrose.com/instructions.html
Skold  
6 Apr 2008 09:18 | Quote
United States
@matt

Ok, but depending on his skill level (with this type of project), it might be best to just take it to a shop.
goodtunes  
6 Apr 2008 12:13 | Quote
United States
yeah there is an excellant video on youtube about it. i restrung mine after watching it.
Notim  
6 Apr 2008 15:05 | Quote
United States
The Floyd isnt as bad as people say, But it can be frustrating, just take your time with it, you can't rush a string change, and if you change your string gauge you have to reset it ,meaning the floyd floats so you may have to adjust the spring tension and the height of the tremelo ,setting the intonation is easy,but like the others said get as much info on it and watch a few video's,but dont be intimated by it because there really isnt all that much to it ...just take your time and if you have any questions PM me and I will be glad to help ya.I have owned alot of floyds and am getting another one with my Ibanez RG420EXBBS.So feel free to ask any questions.
brodyxhollow  
7 Apr 2008 03:03 | Quote
United States
once you understand how the trem works though, its a breeze.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.