Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Computers, Read on, I'll explain

General Chat
GuitarBoy666  
31 Jan 2008 18:25 | Quote
Canada
I posted it in General Chat cause it isn't really anything to do with instruments and/or gear type. But please read it anyways as I need some help.

My Windows XP Service Pack II piece of crap slow laggy computer can't run anything. It doesn't lag - UNTIL I put 1,783 songs on it and open up MSN and the Net and iTunes.

I need something that's really fast, little or no lag, and lots of space for lots of music. They don't make 80GB hard drives anymore, the lowest is 250GB now where I live.
What can y'all suggest that's good for multiple tasks and loads of music, and doesn't lag a lot.
Idk where to look, who to ask, or what to look for... or even how to get it.
I don't have a job, oh wait, how can I cause I am 12 years old and actually in debt to my mom (bought the guitar)
So I need something I can afford in a few months or a year or something...
I don't know where to look, who to ask, what to look for or how to get it.

Thanks guys :)
telecrater  
31 Jan 2008 18:54 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
hey whats the guts of your computer? Ram and CPU? it sounds like your drive might be getting full, but also maybe your pushing your computer too hard and it may not have the ram for it.

also if you have xp have you check any event logs, or task manager. you can run some testing to try and pinpoint what the problem is. that way you won't spend money where it's not going to benefit you the most.

I'm a Computer tech for a day job. and I'm pretty tight too, my last computer was right around $300.

GuitarBoy666  
31 Jan 2008 20:17 | Quote
Canada
Uhh,
RAM: 196 MB < Very bad, and old memory (this computer is from like 1999 or 2000/01 or something
My processor is 833Mhz which sucks
Pentium III

I recently suffered a boot sector problem, something got in and rewrote drive 0 to drive 1 so I took my pc into the shop (mine and my dads friend owns it) and he fixed it. it was formatted meaning EVERYTHING was wiped off it so I'm clean. I only have Firefox, MSN, and AVG anti virus and that doesn't seem to make problems when it's running, like I said, until the some 1700 or 1800 songs kick in...

I just had rlvknlg.exe (Relevant Knowledge) spyware BS on my computer which REALLY lags and crashes stuff you when the MEM Usage surpasses 60,000 K, but I am all clean so no viruses or spyware etc to create lags.

~~ More details

I was in to pick up my computer today and asked if Tim (shop owner) had any memory to speed up my computer, he said he did, I think it was some kind of SD RAM or something ? he had (6) 256 MB stuff but said that even if I put like 3 of them in it wouldn't make a difference, because of my hardware, processor, hard drive, pentium, even for the fact that I am on Windows XP.
Tim says that if I had Windows 98, memory would make a difference because it is older software, so I am better off just getting a new computer instead of new hardware for my current.

Sorry for the book lol but I think it's important you know the specs and all that
telecrater  
31 Jan 2008 22:01 | Quote
United States
well he's part right. I mean if you have the cash for a new computer go for it.

if not you can nickel and dime this with upgrades and maybe able to keep it usable for another 6 months until you can aford an new system. The only upgrade with your current system i could recommend would be memory and maybe a an additional hard drive, you can never have enough disk space.

but running windows XP SP2 on a computer with less than 256 mb is barley covering the basics of what xp is going to use up. part of your slowness is that you computer is using the hard disk for for memory. if you can boost the memory to 512 you will see a bit of a difference.

There are also some "tweaks" you can do to xp to improve the performance, but it make windows look ugly.
JustJeff  
1 Feb 2008 06:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
run ubuntu... it's much better on memory... and all open source :)

other than that, go spend some money on the following:

2.0ghz processor or better
80-120gb hd - 3200rpm
512-1GB ddr2/3 ram

that should be better for ya.
deefa  
1 Feb 2008 11:15 | Quote
United Kingdom
JustJeff took the words right out of my mouth. I've been running Ubuntu for a couple of years now, and I've saved a small fortune on software. Linux has some brilliant studio packages like Rosegarden, Ardour, Audacity and Hydrogen (advanced drum machine) and they don't cost you a bean 666. Just make sure you get a good book to go with it though. Linux can be a bit tricky to configure.
GuitarBoy666  
1 Feb 2008 15:56 | Quote
Canada
Tele, I know what ya mean, my XP could be a lot better cause XP is like good and stuff, with the exception of mine because of my ram and processor.

Jeff,
Ubuntu, I looked at the page for it and is it like free, or trial or something or... ?
Also,
How much do you think the processor, and 2 sticks of 512 would cost ?
(I am Canadian but I don't care if you put in in American Dollars, I'll figure it out)
What is the Pentium and what does it do again ? I though it was something for the Internet or speed but I forget.

I hear Linux is really good and Mac/ Garage Band. I didn't care for Audacity program, it kinda, well, didn't live up to my expectations/needs.... then again it was free...

After getting a new setup I will Google them and see what I want to try out.
telecrater  
1 Feb 2008 18:12 | Quote
United States
Guitarboy666,

i really don't think you will be able to just plug in a new processer and RAM into your current computer. you are sitting several generations behind that you would have to replace the motherboard also. i bet depending if you can reuse your case, and power supply, video card, and other cards you could have a fairly decent upgrade for around $300.

Linux rules i have used it a lot in the past but it will not work with my EMU0404 sound card so no recording. it does use hardware very effectively, so you can breed new live into old hardware.

I do think that this could be a very good option for you since you don't really have a lot of programs you use but it's will take some getting used to.
GuitarBoy666  
1 Feb 2008 18:51 | Quote
Canada
Well my S/V cards are salvageable.
Umm,
My dad's motherboard died last year and it costed I think like $450 + to replace it... so, maybe a new computer all together is the way to go, unless there is something to help me...

What do you think of looking in the Merchant (that is a flier with a bunch of new and used items for sale from people in the Municipality) and I could look there for a new pc ?

What about defragging your computer when you have lots of files ? Does that make any difference ?
telecrater  
1 Feb 2008 21:13 | Quote
United States
well a defrag will always help.

with computer stuff i allways would stay from used. static electricy can easily fry a motherboard, or processor. and who knows what sorta of shape it's in.

how computer savvy are your? can you install stuff? because you can build one yourself, if you feel comfortable with it. but don't do it if your hesitant at all.

deefa  
2 Feb 2008 03:57 | Quote
United Kingdom
Have a look at the 'building a PC for dummies' book if that's the road you want to take. I'm not to proud to admit that it helped me no end!
Also have a look at AMD Athlon Processors and Mobo's. They can work out a lot cheaper than Intel ( I went from a Pentium to an Athlon 64 dual core and I've no complaints at all!).
telecrater  
2 Feb 2008 09:46 | Quote
United States
i went out to new egg last night just to see what you could build on the cheap.

motherboard w/ build in video card $50, AMD dualcore 4400+ processer $70, 1 Gig of 800 DDR2 $40, 450 watt powersuply $40, being able to go on line to all-guitar-chords.com forum and listen to music at the same time, priceless.
bodom  
2 Feb 2008 09:47 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 4
GuitarBoy666 just add more RAM and your system will be faster. Your processor isnt that fast but with that little of RAM it has no help. Add more ram and you will notice a difference. Now on the other hand if you really want a better computer go check out STAPLES they usally have computers on clearence. Just make sure it has a good processor and at least a gig of RAM, very least 512mb with extra slots for more. Memory isnt really a big deal now a days , most have at least 80 gigs. And you can always just buy more.
GuitarBoy666  
2 Feb 2008 10:59 | Quote
Canada
Tele - Wow that's only like 200 dollars (plus tax) for all that.
So I would be able to like keep this system, and the hard drive (80GB) and just rip out all the stuff in there, go to Tim and ask for all that when I have the money ?
And lol at the last part.
Is New Egg like a store or something ? If it is I don't think we have it around here but Tim probably has got some.

He said though don't waste your money on the Ram because my processor can't handle it and it would jut be a waste because of a slow processor, and I am better off like getting a better one or a new computer instead of buying all kinda of parts.

But the parts that Tele mentioned are far cheaper than the whole new computer, probably saving 200 dollars. I will give him an email and see what he says.

The worst part too, is that I only have one slot left of memory so that would definitely not help at all
GuitarBoy666  
2 Feb 2008 11:04 | Quote
Canada
Oh and I can install stuff and all that, don't forget I am only 12 and I am not like a computer genius or any of that. I probably would be able to find some tutorials and stuff on how to build one, and I know where some of the parts are on the computer.

Plus, I could ask on Yahoo! Answers because that's a good site where you can find help with anything you need, Sso I will look around and stuff.
GuitarBoy666  
16 Feb 2008 20:14 | Quote
Canada
How do I open an ISO File on Windows XP Pro Service pack II !??!?!?!!??!?!?

What is an ISO File ?!?!?!??!
telecrater  
16 Feb 2008 23:41 | Quote
United States
an ISO file is an "image" of whats on a CDROM. since we can't physically send a CD or DVD through the internet they send ISO files that can later be burnt onto a CD or DVD

You will need some software to burn it onto CD/DVD like Nero or something else. Nero has Image burning section.
GuitarBoy666  
17 Feb 2008 11:20 | Quote
Canada
Well since MY computer doesn't have even a burner in it, I could probably send it to my dad and get him to burn it on.

Tele check yer inbox...

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.