Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

how to make chords for an instrument

Beginners
rockstrat  
6 Sep 2007 18:07 | Quote
Puerto Rico
The is that I have a puertorrican cuatro that is an instrument from Puerto Rico. And it lies between a mandolin and a 12 string guitarand I want to know on how to get chords from this instrument.

the tuning is
1|-G-
2|-D-
3|-A-
4|-E-
5|-B-
and it has pairs of strings in the 4th and 5th the string are one steel and one nickel wound
Doz  
7 Sep 2007 01:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
It'd be good if you could change the tuning on the guitar tools... but... I know of a program that does scales and you can selec the tuning. I'm sure if you learnt a bit about chord construction it'd be easy to figure out chords - and if you do it the hard way (ie, no one telling you what to do) then it'll most likely better you. It's called Guitarscales (so it might be hard, try googling guitarscales program or whatever).

Other than that I've got nothing else, I'm afraid.
Guitarslinger124  
7 Sep 2007 01:40 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
the same way you get chords for any other instrument...thats the beauty of music...an A minor chord will always be A, E and C. You need to learn a bit about chord construction and you'll have no problem finding the chord for your instrument...
blackholesun  
7 Sep 2007 06:12 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
The tuning is the same as a 5 string bass, albeit an octave higher probably. A 5 string bass is the same as a 4 string bass with an extra low B string. And a 4 string bass is the same as the lowest 4 strings on a guitar.

If you have guitar pro, then create a track in 5 string bass tuning, put the tuning up an octave, and then use the chord tool to find where chords are on the fretboard.

If you don't have guitar pro, then it's not that confusing. All the strings are tuned in 4ths, so its just the same as a normal guitar on the lower strings. Playing what used to be an Emaj chord would actually be Bmaj, but you don't play the top string, as it's a G, rather than an F#, as the interval between the 2nd and 3rd strings on a normal guitar is a major 3rd rather than a 4th.

Here are some chords to get you started:

blackholesun  
7 Sep 2007 06:24 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
oops i pressed post instead of insert tab!

Bmaj Bmin Cmaj C#maj Dmin Emaj Fmaj Amaj Amin
G x-----(4)-----0------x------x------1------2------6------5------|
D 1------0------2------3------3------2------3------7------7------|
A 2------2------3------4------5------2------3------7------7------|
E 2------2------3------4------5------0------1------5------5------|
B 0------0------1------2------3------x------x------x------x------|

These are the barre shaped major and minor chords, so in theory you can play every major and minor chord. There are quite a few open chords as well but I haven't written those out as you're probably better off to find them out yourself.

Hope this helps.

rockstrat  
7 Sep 2007 14:36 | Quote
Puerto Rico
Thanks. So I can find the chords by making them with some knowledge of chord construction, and I can find them like for a 5 string bass?
And the chords above sounds great thanks

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.