Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Repo Man

General Chat
gx1327  
3 Nov 2010 09:34 | Quote
United States
okay this post is going to take a 180 degree turn and end up about guitar, so bear with me and my rambling ways.

i have a feeling that a lot of members of this website are too young, but has anyone here seen repo man? and no i'm not talking about repo MEN which came out recently. i'm takling about the 1986 cult classic starring emilio estivez and harry dean stanton. it's one of the most punk rock movies ever, and so so cool.

anyway i was flipping through my cluttered "download" folder on my PC last night and came across the video i had downloaded. i flipped through to some of my favorite scenes and was reminded how much the soundtrack of that movie kicked butt.

throughout the film there is a... i want to call it surf guitar, but it's much slower. but it is in the style of surf guitar (super heavy reverb), and the solos are very reminiscent of surf style guitar.

so i think i want to get into surf guitar. it's pretty cool. not sure if you can find any clips on youtube, but there are a few key scenes in the movies with a really cool sounding guitar soloing as the backing music.

does anyone know anything about surf guitar/music? i've done a little poking around and i found this scale (1 2b 3 4 5 6b 7) which is a harmonic minor with a flattened 2nd instead of 3rd. of course it's just a suggestion, but a lot of people seemed to recommend the harmonic minor scale as a starting point. but i figured i'd ask here since this is my usual stomping grounds

and regardless of the music i still consider repo man to be one of the few "must see" movies that exist today.

"repo man's always intense"
Phip  
3 Nov 2010 10:12 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
gx1327 says:
does anyone know anything about surf guitar/music?

Check out ** Dale. He invented the thing! Saw him a few years ago in a small club on the beach. The man is WILD WILD WILD! Doesn't know there is a volume control on his amp, he runs it straight out to the limit. (couldn't hear a damn thing for 3 days!)
Phip

P.S. I think the robot is gonna bleep his first name (short for Richard).
Yup sure enough. lol
gx1327  
3 Nov 2010 10:37 | Quote
United States
yeah i started looking into some d. dale last night (didn't have a lot of free time, this is more of a weekend project), but from what i saw he was really really fast. the music in repo man is really really mellow and slow. it's possible that DD plays both, but from what i saw it was the fast stuff (typically that's what you get at first because that's the stuff that is shown off)
macandkanga  
3 Nov 2010 11:13 | Quote
United States
The Ventures. They did the theme to Hawaii 50 and this classic below among others. They have a ton of surf hits. Another band featured in surf films was Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. They weren't really a surf band but a instrumental band.

macandkanga  
3 Nov 2010 11:19 | Quote
United States
Repo Man was awesome! I need to watch it again.

Debbi: Duke, let's go do some crimes.
Duke: Yeah. Let's go get sushi and not pay.
Phip  
3 Nov 2010 11:34 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Yeah, the Ventures are a little more tame than D Dale.
But.........If your gonna surf, ya gotta surf with the bird my friend!

And let's not forget the Beach Boys. (never went in the water but they sure produced a lot of surfer tunes. lol)

macandkanga  
3 Nov 2010 11:45 | Quote
United States
Have you heard?

gx1327  
3 Nov 2010 12:24 | Quote
United States
macandkanga says:
Repo Man was awesome! I need to watch it again.

Debbi: Duke, let's go do some crimes.
Duke: Yeah. Let's go get sushi and not pay.

my favorite thing about the movie was how all packaged products were labeled in plain, blue text-on-white background packages that just said what the item was. "BEER", "CHIPS", "CIGARETTES"
macandkanga  
3 Nov 2010 13:02 | Quote
United States
@gx1327,

I just found it on Netflix to watch instantly! I'll be watching it tonight when everyone goes to bed.
gx1327  
4 Nov 2010 09:59 | Quote
United States
here are the two songs i had in mind. the first one is in a scene when he storms out of bud's car and he's walking along the sidewalk while the scientist guys are searching for something... it's about 2/3rds of the way through the movie.

then the final scene when they get in the (spoiler alert) car/space ship/time machine and zip around LA, the final song that plays them out. it's called "reel ten" by the plugz. that's about as much as i know at the moment.
macandkanga  
4 Nov 2010 18:22 | Quote
United States
Fell asleep at 10 last night. I'm gonna try again tonight!
macandkanga  
5 Nov 2010 10:58 | Quote
United States
Watched it last night! Not as great 25 years later but still a cool movie. There was a Suicidal Tendancies song in the earl part of the movie and yeah, that last song is epic!Ya know what I mean?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.